Introducing Rocket Chats: A monthly feature demo and live Q&A - February 6th

Lewis Haidt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2019

v3_RocketChat_320x160.png

Hello Community, 

Ever wonder how Jira decides which features to ship when? Have a burning Jira question that you want answered directly by the makers of Jira? Looking for the perfect place to gush about the new Next Gen projects? Well, you’ve come to the right place.

Introducing Rocket Chat, a new monthly video series where we sit down with Jira Product Managers, take your spicy questions, and discuss and share new features with the community.

Join Jira Product Manager Rayen Magpantay here in this thread on February 6, 2019 at noon PST through 5 pm on February 7, 2019 (7:00 am in Australia on February 7, 2019 until February 8, 2019 at noon) for this exclusive event.

Update 3: Hi Community, here's our inaugural Rocket Chat. Check out Jira PM Rayen as he demos three new features:

• issue linking
  • epic assignments
  • watching

Plus, Rayen answers your Spicy Question: what is going on with sub-tasks?

Update 2: Here's another exclusive preview of improvements in epic assignments in the new Jira Cloud. Come back tomorrow to see the full demo of the latest new features.

Update 1: Here's a special preview of the new issue links feature in Jira Cloud. Come back Wednesday for the full demonstration.

9 comments

Comment

Stephen Bancroft February 4, 2019

You can't be serious calling this Rocket Chat ?  You do realise there is an open source project called Rocketchat that a lot of people have moved to after you dumped Stride.

Like # people like this
Claire Drumond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2019

Thanks for the feedback Stephen, I can definitely see the irony, but the intent of these demos is very different than the Rocket.Chat open source project. Here, we're showcasing new Jira features directly from our PM team and answering questions from the community. It's simply a name for this video series, not a new product. We hope our customers using Jira Software Cloud will find this content valuable!

Like # people like this
Mariusz Mścichowski February 5, 2019

@Claire Drumond the name is confusing, it could be "Slack Chat" and confusion would be at the same level.

Like # people like this
setempler February 6, 2019

Hi,

I guess what counts is that this comment is not about irony, but confusion.

Why not name it *Feature Chat*, that’s what it is anyways and nobody’s irritated.

Be agile, be clear, marketing! As is your product!

Thanks!

P.S.: Maybe you could chat about how the real rocket.chat can be connected? That’s why I landed here, at least...

Like # people like this
dilipkumar23bytes March 19, 2019

How to get started with ZIRA? Can anyone describe here? Thanks in advance...

Like Mariusz Mścichowski likes this
Mariusz Mścichowski March 19, 2019

Zira is the mother of KovuNuka and Vitani, and the main antagonist of The Lion King II: Simba's Pride.

Like carolyn french likes this
Alisha Vimawala _ Fueled February 5, 2019

How do you join the chat? Is there a link, or do I just come back to this page tomorrow?

Alisha Vimawala _ Fueled February 5, 2019

Also, would love if we could chat about some of the items in this thread! I wrote it a while back as both love letter and suggestion box for the team at Jira.

https://twitter.com/embracevim/status/1017085427038244864

Lewis Haidt
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2019

Come back to this thread tomorrow and starting at noon PT Wednesday - 2/6 (7 am AUS Thursday - 2/7), Rayen and team will be responding to questions.

This is for Jira Cloud. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2019

@Lewis Haidt, so i'm here at I think the right time but don't see anything new. Am i missing something? Maybe it is simply missed expectations about what these "rocket chats" are meant to be and how they work. Maybe it is like the AMAs that have occurred in the past? I don't have immediate question on the three short videos that have been presented.

Rayen Magpantay
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2019

Hey everyone. I'll be here to answer your questions about updates in JIra Software Cloud so fire away! 

If you haven't yet, check out the video of me and Bernie here talking about watchers, issue links, epic assignments and subtasks for the next-gen Jira Software projects.

We plan to give you updates at a monthly basis, so subscribe to our Youtube channel to get the lowdown every time a new video comes out.

You can also check out what we're planning to release in our public roadmap.

Like dilipkumar23bytes likes this
Alisha Vimawala _ Fueled February 6, 2019

Hey Rayen! Wondering if there is anything on the roadmap for sorting/grouping in the backlog view? 

For example, sorting/grouping by:

• Priority
  • Type (story, task, bug)
  • Assignee 
Like # people like this
Rayen Magpantay
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2019

Hi Alisha, 

Thanks for hopping on and asking a question. We'll put in a vote for this feature request. 

In the meantime we're looking to add issue type and priority filtering sometime in the near future on top of the already available people/assignee filter on the backlog. 

Could you give us a little background on what you might use grouping and sorting for? Some context will be helpful for our team!

cc @Eoin Ryan

Like dilipkumar23bytes likes this
Alisha Vimawala _ Fueled February 6, 2019

Thanks! I think it's a bit self explanatory, but grouping/sorting tickets would be especially helpful for big projects with lots of issues. It would help keep the Backlog view clean and organized for developers and PMs. ;-)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2019

Hi @Rayen Magpantay, let me start by thinking you for taking the time to engage w/ the Community. I will start by echoing some questions I see online frequently that don't appear to be on the public roadmap. For NG project, second to Sub-tasks (maybe more important that sub-tasks?) is release management. The ability to define fix versions, track them and release them as we do on Classic Kanbans today. Are there plans and if so what are you thinking here?

Like # people like this
Rayen Magpantay
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2019

No problem, thank you for asking a question.

We have a team looking at this at the moment. We're reimagining this feature to make it more user-friendly and hopefully extensible to third party CI/CD providers. It's not quite as trivial as just porting over the code and architecture as next-gen projects are built from the ground up. However expect a more user-friendly experience and more seamless integration with other features within a next-gen project.

My personal pet peeve is to "fix" the confusion with "fix versions" "versions" and "releases" so like yourself, I am looking forward for the "release" of this as well.

fmorenosrc February 28, 2019

wrong title.

I was looking for rocket chat integration with jira, but this come up.

Like # people like this
Stephen Bancroft February 28, 2019

Yeah, terrible title, I agree.  However what you are looking for is the Rockchat-jira-trigger. It's on github. I've set it up and it works very well.  https://github.com/gustavkarlsson/rocketchat-jira-trigger

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Lewis Haidt
Atlassian Team
February 28, 2019

We changed the title for the series moving forward so that should lessen the confusion. 

Like # people like this
dilipkumar23bytes March 19, 2019

I was looking for rocket chat integration with jira. I also want to learn more about this. Please share any relevant articles.

Like Mariusz Mścichowski likes this
Lewis Haidt
Atlassian Team
March 19, 2019

This thread is not about the tool, Rocket Chat. It is, in fact, the name of a series of videos where Jira Product Managers share the latest Jira features (which we renamed "Demo Den" to lessen any confusion. 

This link might help you that was shared above - https://github.com/gustavkarlsson/rocketchat-jira-trigger.

Thomas Holenstein April 2, 2019

What can I do, on my side the subtask not work. Do I have to activate something?

Rayen Magpantay
Atlassian Team
September 22, 2019

Hi Thomas - please go to Project Settings and add a "subtask" issue type. 

Jeremy Burton September 13, 2019

Roadmaps look cool but fall apart quickly when you realize it's only a view of one project. How do I view a road map for multiple projects?

Rayen Magpantay
Atlassian Team
September 22, 2019

Hi Jeremy, 

We're currently working on this. Features that cut across projects requires significant architectural change. We're performing a rewrite of the 10 year old legacy back-end services associated with project configuration to make these types of features easier to implement now and in the future. This makes things like iterations on existing features, Jira APIs and add-ons easier to be deployed and extended either at a single- or multiple- project level.

Unfortunately I don't have a timeline but the Roadmaps team is working on providing multiple project roadmap views - please bear with us.

Thanks.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events