How to use one Jira Software Project for the entire team and all scrum work

Lindsey Dengler October 19, 2021

Hi everyone. I am looking for advise. We would like to set up 1 scrum project that out entire team (multiple areas of focus) will use and that all scrum work will run through. Meaning 1 scrum project, many ppl, many bodies of work. Let me see your ideas. Thanks! 

4 comments

Comment

Abraham Durrant October 19, 2021

@Lindsey Dengler 

This can be done - but I would advise against it.

You will need to utilize the following to allow for robust reporting and clear separation of duties:

• Components - These can be used to specify type of work (i.e. UI, API, UX...) or functionality, customers, areas....really any way that you want to group issues into smaller subsections within this project. It will also allow the ability to auto assign.
  • Versions - This will especially help if your releases are staggered. The release manager will thank you later!
  • Boards - You may want to create different boards for different type users - then in the scrum meeting you can navigate to each board view and allow them to be targeted to a specific sub-set of team members
  • Proper Hierarchy - Having the issues grouped in a proper hierarchical setup will allow you to easily keep the team members focused on their goal
    • Epic
      • Stories, Tasks, Defects
        • Tasks, Sub-Tasks
  • Labels - These should be used sparingly for division of work - though I would actually encourage you to stay away from Labels (for this specific situation)
  • Lastly, you should use automation to keep parents aligned with children issues and any other mundane task that will save you time or create less "busy" work for you!

Hope that helps!

Abe

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2021

Generally a scrum team is 4-7 people, if they're larger, you tend to start to struggle.

And the usual way to think about Scrum boards is that one scrum board = one team (in fact, if you use Jira Align, you'll find you can't not do it that way!)

So, in your case, I'd like to emphasise @Abraham Durrant 's comment about boards being targeted at a sub-set of the team!  Base your boards on something each sub-team would need to responsible for.  Find some way to break up the issues (stories) into groups and use that to define the board filters - "project = xyz and team = team-mushroom", "project = xyz and team = team badger", "project = xyz and team = team-snake" for example.

Like # people like this
Lindsey Dengler October 20, 2021

I would love to hear more about this "And the usual way to think about Scrum boards is that one scrum board = one team (in fact, if you use Jira Align, you'll find you can't not do it that way!)" 

We do not use Align today, but it is a product I am thinking about. 

Paula Hidalgo October 19, 2021

If you are not using Jira Premium, you may need to set up 1 project for 'multiple' teams to get visibility into progress toward goals. As noted above, you must approach with caution.  With Jira Premium comes Advanced Roadmaps where you can use the 1 team to 1 Jira Project to 1 Jira board.  You can then aggregate multiple team efforts into a single Roadmap (AKA Plan).

Like # people like this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2021

Hi, @Lindsey Dengler. I agree with all that's been said above.

Judging by some of your previous posts, it looks like you are familiar with Atlassian Roadmaps, but not Advanced Roadmaps. Is that correct?

And, if you share your hosting environment (cloud, server, data center) and confirm that we are talking about Jira Sofware it would be easier for folks here to offer more relevant advice. ;)

Best,

-dave 

No. I was asking for an Atlassian roadmap we could follow. We currently do not use roadmaps in Jira. Looking forward to it in the future though! 

Great information. Let me provide more context. Currently we have Jira Server (Software and Core). We are working on migrating to JSM cloud and Jira Software Cloud but only certain projects. While we do this, we are also trying to develop a Scrum methodology. However, we have many products we support and we are not a 'development' organization per say. We do develop and customize some products. We are trying to implement best practices for service requests, change requests (normal), and major changes (enhancements, feature requests). Our current structure in our team is split down to the pillar product. Meaning Team Atlassian, Team Microsoft, Team SCM, etc. I am thinking this: 

Have 1 project that is in JSM for all service requests, incidents and normal changes. This will be the main backlog. We move work out of that project and into a Kanban project for any changes or bugs that can be released continuously (outside of sprint change windows). Then have a Scrum project set up for larger bodies of work that can actually benefit from scrum. Does this make sense?

Like # people like this
Lindsey Dengler November 16, 2021

I would LOVE input on the scenario I mentioned above. Please! 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events