Confession time: how many of the sprint planning basics does your team do?

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 1, 2019

As part of the The Agile Coach - What is Scrum playlist, there is a video on Sprint Planning Basics

The 3-step process used at Atlassian involves:

1. Backlog grooming
  2. Sprint planning meeting (1 hour for every week of the sprint duration)
  3. Creating action items

Does this resemble what your team does?

Image result for question marks gif

I'd score my team X X X right now for following this process. That just means like many of you our agile adoption process is iterative!

How does your team plan sprints?

1 comment

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

I work as a part of a team of three.  The work we do is 99% operations with 1% administrative overhead.  We tried following full Scrum and decided that for the size of team and how often our planned work can (and needs to be) interrupted for critical issues that a "ScrumBan/KanPlan" model was better suited for us.  We still do weekly backlog grooming, but we did away with sprint planning.  We order the tasks based on relative priority and due dates knowing that something may come along that could trump another task in the list and we regularly communicate with stakeholders about the various priorities so they know if something is going to slip due to something else.

So far it seems to be working well for us.

Like Kat Warner likes this
James Bullock October 2, 2019

Kudos. IMO it's not just legitimate, but often preferred way to organize the work.

I've used, and brought to others, "ScrumBan" since, well about 3 decades before it was popularized with a name. There are some reasons why it works, and circumstance when it's the far better choice. I haven't written that article, yet.<g>

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events