So you don't have a PO or Scrum master...! Now what!? #BacklogGrooming

No Po, No Cry ! πŸ˜₯🚫

Welcome to the world small companies! A separate PO and Scrum master per project? Forget it. Enough resources to manage the project? No chance. Maybe a JIRA Admin...? Hahaha. Don't make me laugh. 
Sometimes that's the harsh truth of a small company. At TWNKLS we are 33 innovative enthusiasts leading the charge in ground breaking AR (like the Ikea Place App) and due to  our current size and the demand of our clients we sometimes have to put on more that one hat - especially when it comes to BACK LOG GROOMING.
But we survive and we make it WORK!

What's in a title? πŸ‘‘πŸ˜΅

Project Manager: Jack of all trades, mARster** of everything! It's a tough life not being just the PO, or just the SCRUM master... but it's an exciting one none the less! Sometimes I have the luxury of a senior dev or tech lead on a project and sometimes I'm all alone. So regardless of my state of play, how do I manage? Quite simply really, and it's highlighted in Atlassian's latest Agile Coach video with Megan Cook...

Excuse the Devs! πŸ™πŸ₯‡

A long time ago I used to panic if I didn't have a senior dev or a tech lead by my side during the back log grooming. Now I can handle it myself and they actually appreciate it if they don't have to do any thinking at all, being able to stick to their hard core programming. So we only come together with (one or more) devs when:
1. A sprint could be longer than 2 weeks
2. We're working on a super complex project with high research elements or 
3. The Back-Log has a long list of issues with no clear clarity on priorities.

So enjoy this really quick video on Backlog Grooming and let me know if you suffer the same or similar challenges in your grooming and how you overcome it?
Maybe you don't and you're looking for more advice.
Well that's what us Community Nerds are here for! Just ask!

**And yes... we make those types of AR jokes in our compARny all the time! 

(2019) How to groom your backlog right - The Agile Coach - Ep. 6

And now... MORE grooming! πŸ€˜πŸ€©

Hungry for some serious deep dive in backlog grooming?
Are you ready!? Here we go!

Groom Your Backlog Like a Boss - Atlassian Summit U.S. 2017

11 comments

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2019

Your enthusiasm is contagious, it must be so much fun working as part of your team! :)

Like β€’ Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc : Thanks so much for your compliment! πŸ˜‡πŸ™
I have my pro's and cons....!

When I am up it's great!
When I am down though ... I take down the WHOLE fricking office with me.... hahaha! πŸ˜‘🀯

To be fair, I've done a lot of maturing the last decade so it's mainly ups.

The last infamous implosion was Samsung Electronics way back in 2009. But that story is for over a beer when I come visit PEI ! 

🍻🍺😎

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2019

Looking forward to your visit! β˜€οΈπŸ»

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2019

I found a flight.... nice an cheap. 

Only 55 hours from Amsterdam to Charlottetown.... 3 stop overs, one of which is an overnighter! :oP

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2019

Oh my!! 🀯 55 hours?! Must be the time difference, I hope 🀞🏼 It is 1011am on April 9th. What time/ date is it where you are?

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2019

313 pm on April 9th in rotterdam. So not that big of a difference after all.  I would invest in a teleporter if I were you. Lightning fast πŸš€ 

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2019

Sadly nothing to do with time difference.... just not easy to get to Canada by the looks of it.
(Inexpensively that is!)
Straight to T-Dot is not a prob and quick.... and there's regular flights to Charlottetown from there.

Yes... teleporter probably faster and cheaper ;o)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2019

You will need to find a 2000 page book that is so good you won’t want to put it down until you arrive 55 hours later 😊 πŸ“š It will make the travel time fly by quickly ✈️ 

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2019

I have one of those ! !
It's my song-writing book which is half empty and I write my new lyrics in as much as possible! The time will go by SUPER fast! 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2019

Nice! On the way back you can write a song about PEI and your fabulous vacation - or maybe you would love it so much you would never want to leave πŸ– 

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc : PEI seriously looks like the type of place I would LOVE to live in! I can already write a song about it πŸ˜‡πŸ‘πŸ–Š

Like β€’ Jodi LeBlanc likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events