Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrum vs Kanban: Key Differences in Project Management Methodologies.

Scrum and Kanban are two project management methodologies that have become popular in recent years. They aim to improve team efficiency and productivity but differ in their approach and implementation. In this article, we'll explore the key differences between Scrum and Kanban in simple terms.

Scrum:

Scrum is an Agile methodology that focuses on delivering high-quality products in short cycles called sprints. It consists of three roles: Product Owner, Scrum Master, and Development Team. The Product Owner defines the product backlog, a prioritized list of features or tasks. The Scrum Master facilitates the process and ensures adherence to Scrum rules. The Development Team delivers a potentially releasable product increment at the end of each sprint.

Scrum uses time-boxed sprints that last two to four weeks. During each sprint, the Development Team works on a set of tasks from the product backlog. The team holds daily stand-up meetings to discuss progress and plan for the day. At the end of the sprint, the team holds a sprint review meeting to demonstrate completed work and receive feedback. The team also holds a sprint retrospective meeting to reflect on the sprint and identify areas for improvement.

Kanban:

Kanban is a Lean methodology that focuses on visualizing work, reducing waste, and optimizing flow. It's based on the concept of a Kanban board, a visual representation of work that needs to be done. The board has columns that represent different workflow stages, such as "To Do," "In Progress," and "Done." Each task or work item is represented by a card that moves across the board as it progresses through the workflow.

Kanban doesn't have predefined roles or time-boxed sprints. It allows for continuous delivery of work items as they become ready. The focus is on limiting work in progress (WIP) and optimizing flow. The team uses metrics such as lead time and cycle time to measure performance and identify areas for improvement.

Scrum vs. Kanban:

The main difference between Scrum and Kanban is their approach to planning and execution. Scrum is a more prescriptive methodology that provides a structured framework for planning and executing projects. It's best suited for projects with defined requirements and a clear end goal. Kanban is a more flexible methodology that allows for the continuous delivery of work items. It's best suited for projects with changing requirements and a focus on optimizing flow.

Scrum is more suitable for teams that require a high level of structure and guidance. It provides clear roles, rules, and ceremonies that help teams stay focused and productive. Kanban is more suitable for teams that require more flexibility and autonomy. It allows teams to self-organize and prioritize work based on their capacity and expertise.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, Scrum and Kanban are two popular project management methodologies that differ in their approach and implementation. Scrum is a prescriptive methodology that provides a structured framework for planning and executing projects, while Kanban is a more flexible methodology that allows for the continuous delivery of work items. Both methodologies have their strengths and weaknesses, and the choice depends on the specific needs and characteristics of the team and project.

6 comments

Mia Paulin April 13, 2023

That is awesome definition of both frameworks and a excellent contrast. Have to created a team yet? It would be useful for you to create at team, using your fellow community members and try to implement a workflow and a project with task and issues. Some Jira apps that would help with this that I find useful are Jira software, confluence and anything that allows you to create a kanban or Scrum board where you can utilize backlog, boards and roadmaps. Nicely done!

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2023

I have a minor quibble with this.  Scrum and Kanban are not Agile or Lean methodologies - they just fit in well with them.

Scrum and Kanban were created and in use well before Agile or Lean were defined.  I was working in a Scrum team years before we got one of the authors of the Agile manifesto to help us improve it.

Like Mia Paulin likes this

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  I would love to read up on more of the traditional KanBan and Scrum methodologies. Are there links to these? Coming from different backgrounds whether time periods, age groups, or different stages of technology the meaning and the framework itself can change and evolve. Things grow with innovation @mayurJadhav what is your rebuttal sir?

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2023

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I understand your point that Scrum and Kanban were developed and in use before Agile or Lean were defined. However, I would like to add that Scrum and Kanban are often considered as Agile and Lean methodologies respectively because they embody many of the same values and principles that underpin these broader frameworks.

For instance, Scrum emphasizes values such as transparency, inspection, and adaptation, which are fundamental to the Agile mindset. Similarly, Kanban focuses on principles like continuous improvement, limiting work in progress, and delivering value quickly, which are central to Lean thinking. Therefore, it's fair to say that Scrum and Kanban are aligned with Agile and Lean approaches, even if they were created independently of them.

@Mia Paulin Would love to read more about on traditional Kanban and Scrum.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

@Mayur Jadhav - it is just a point of history and description - "aligned with" is a great way to describe it, far better than I did.

On the historical side, I think it's probably fair to say that Agile and Lean were partly inspired by the Scrum and Kanban methodologies.

Like # people like this

I love this conversation. I will add more to the discussion in a bit, as I am new and still learning aspects of the platform. Managing my time better. The documentation is mind grabbing and I have had a lot of help. Still getting hands on practice and the people here are a wonderful group. Kudos to all of you guys, especially you, Nic! I’ll post in a bit. Gotta return to my epics and to do list! 

Like Mayur Jadhav likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events