Scrum Roles Explained: the Do's and the Don'ts

Hello Community, 

Today we are going to talk about the three Scrum Roles. There is the Development Team, the Scrum Master and the Product Owner.

In my opinion these three are all really important and I will share some of my experience I gained when fulfilling (or at least trying to fulfill) this roles, some for many years, some less, and sometimes even two or all three at the same time.

[CLICK TO TWEET]

And that is the point I want to talk about. Don't do that. Having more than one role in a team causes a lot of problems. Although there are combinations of roles that may work, it is a lot harder to do that. There are always conflicts in your mind between the roles, especially when combining the Product Owner with one of the other roles, as they want probably the opposite things.

But also the Scrum Master and the Developer role may cause conflicts in your mind, for example to take care of the rules vs. the wish to break the rules. 

And besides that conflicts,  your team mates never know, as which role you are talking. Are you the Developer, telling his subjective opinion or the Scrum Master with a more objective view. Do you want to make a suggestion or are you telling the team what to do (even harder if you are also team lead at the same time).

Yes, one can handle this all, but it means a lot of effort for everyone. 

So my advice, don't do that.

But now, let's see what our Atlassian experts want to tell us about the Scrum Roles and feel free to discuss your opinion or your experiences here.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events