Everyday do something that scares you.

TL;DR  As a proud mum of two boys and a Program Manager at Atlassian I often wear many hats. In this very personal article, I wanted to share this one idea which has resulting in an empowering link between these roles, in the hope that it might actually help each of you be fearless. (wink)

Kids are amazing, aren't they?  Not only because they teach you things you never knew you needed to know, they push you to be stronger than you ever thought possible, they make you reach down to the depths of your inner-creative genius, they unveil you as this superhero that you actually already are. 

Don't get me wrong kids also drive you insane, lead you to your wit's end, push you into that eternal vortex known as insomnia, they frustrate you with selective hearing, picky eating and literally destroy everything within reach. But, as parents, these are all the reasons we love ❤️ them.

Pic2kids.png

Recently my two boys, Stone (4 1/2 yrs) and Rip (2 yrs) imparted some wisdom on me that I didn't know I actually needed. As my Design Ops team at Atlassian can attest, this unplanned spark has really been a driving force for me in the last few months, sometimes in ways I didn’t realise were possible.

This one concept has actually given me strength and courage in the most powerful way...

kids2pics.png

My boys are fearless and I mean truly fearless. They jump off of giant rocks with excitement, they tackle big waves without hesitation, they play golf with so much enjoyment and confidence that I can only see them succeeding in becoming the next Adam Scott; which Stone reminds me almost daily (wink) that he will do. 

Kids3.png

Over the last few months, I found myself more and more often being pulled along on this fearless journey with them. And that got me thinking… (lightbulb)

"Do something everyday that scares you.”

Seriously.

For those who really know me, I consider myself an introverted, extrovert. Perhaps my past life in the acting world has made be brave in certain situations, but not so much in my real life. So, I genuinely challenge myself every day to do something that scares me. It can be big or small, from sharing a very personal article on Community (tick) (check) to recently representing Atlassian on a panel at Vivid (tick) to talk about Sustainable Supply Chains (check that too). 

55pics.jpg

I would normally shy away from doing something like sitting on a panel. I wasn't sure how I'd go trying to convince everyone I was an expert in sustainable supply chains, just because I was passionate about making the At-lass swag dresses and because I saw the actual impact I could make in the world. But I did it because it scared me.

Vivid.png

Have a serious think about what really scares you; is it trying new foods, making small talk with a stranger in the lift, looking someone in the eyes and smiling? Think about what scares you and tackle it head on like Stone and Rip. I promise if you take this idea on and really embrace it, you will achieve in ways you never thought possible.

This reminds me of that one great line from the movie We Bought A Zoo:

“You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.”

My challenge should you choose to accept it, please do something today and tomorrow and the next day that genuinely scares you.  (heart)

4 comments

Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
June 22, 2018

For me is scary enough to live as a foreigner in a country by myself, working at an industry which I don't know at the fullest, though I do in my area (Marketing), and that sometimes provoke self "downtime"; by reading this article, it felt like a shot of energy which just renewed my power, and make me think about why I started. Thanks for this, which is equal to a smile to a stranger in the street, or writing this random and personal comment, here. Regards! 

Kayla Cannon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2018

Thank you @Huwen Arnone for reading my blog and for the courage to comment. 😁

This idea of doing something that scares you, really means something different to everyone. I can greatly appreciate and actually relate to how challenging and vulnerable it is to not only be a foreigner, but working in an industry that you don't know completely. 

It is absolutely scary. But, I have honestly found in the last few months of challenging myself daily the things that used to really scare me, only kind of scare me now and I can only see that upwards trend. Like anything else I guess it's practice, so please do continue to challenge yourself, this is a great start. 😀

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2019

Hello @Kayla Cannon and thank you for such great inspiration!  You're correct that those scary things can be tiny or huge but digging deep and finding the courage to do them anyway can bring tremendous satisfaction and growth.  Cheers!

Like Kayla Cannon likes this
Kayla Cannon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2019

Hi @LarryBrock so glad you found my blog inspiring. Every time I read a comment like yours or look at my boys, I get that same inspiration and jolt of 'fearlessness' to tackle those scary moments head on. It is always wonderful to hear that others experience those same moments, so thank you. 😀

Like LarryBrock likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events