Boosting team's visibility with ScriptRunner like a boss

Just like almost every team here we are struggling with visibility both internal and external each day. I want to share a short story about how we have improved the internal part by a great deal and probably the external part by a bit too.

It has all started on one of our retros where we were discussing low morale in the team and how it may be affected by issues with internal visibility especially when some of the team members are working from home or have a meeting colliding with the standup. We then started discussing on how we can improve it: maybe with posting our stand-ups in the teams room on our communicator or having a Trello board for our stand-ups/more granular reports but... hey... why not use Jira for that?

We've also discussed some things that worked and helped and we knew for a fact that having our board displayed during the stand-up helps greatly. But what about people who can't attend? Well, they could just update their Jira issues like everybody else would. Great, now how do we make that information visible? Jira can display custom field's value on board's cards so we only need a custom field that would have an auto-calculated value of last comment. ScriptRunner's Scripted Fields to the rescue:

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 11.42.34.jpg

We are hoping this improvement will also make our stand-ups more task oriented and less people (assignees) oriented.

And now some after-credits.:

With ScriptRunner's issue JQL function we were able to craft some custom JQLs that help us with the process eg. list of current sprint's issues assigned to current user that are in progress and weren't updated for more than 24 hours. We then created a new dashboard that would display different sets of issues from the current sprint:

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 11.56.41.jpg 

But then another eureka moment came. We can have custom card colours on our board! So why not just colour the cards that need an update? (Issues that need an update are coloured in orange)

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 12.12.00.jpg

0 comments

Comment

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Agile

What's new this quarter in Confluence Server - August 2018

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Ada , and I'm the Product Marketing Manager for Confluence Server at Atlassian. If you missed   our last post, we're transitioning to quarterly updates&nb...

153 views 0 1
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you