Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do my automation rules not work in my advanced roadmap?

Maxime Stauffer July 14, 2020

Hi!

We use advanced roadmaps and create a few rules to automate labels and assignees. However, when we create issues in our advanced roadmap the rules do not apply (even after accepting the changes into Jira).

Does someone have a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 vote
nmenere
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2020

Hi Maxime,

I know of one limitation with portfolio/Advanced Roadmaps around our support for "Parent Link" but if the trigger is for Issue Create then it should work.

Are you able to post a screenshot of your rule to see exactly what it is?

Cheers,
Nick

Maxime Stauffer July 15, 2020

Hi @nmenere! Thank you for your answer.

Here is the rule:

rules.PNG

And, related to the first comment, here is the audit log which shows that the rule works but it, in fact, only worked from the backlog and not from the advanced roadmap:

audit.PNG

Many thanks for your help! 

nmenere
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2020

Before I dig into this more, can I confirm that you mean that the rule didn't get triggered when you created an issue from Advanced Roadmaps.

Sorry to pedantic but need to know exactly what it is before I go to the dev team with this.

Cheers,
Nick

Maxime Stauffer July 17, 2020

Hi,

Here are both rule logs after I created issues in the advanced roadmap:

Auto assign: the rule got triggered but did not retrieve parent issue while there is one.

autoassign.PNG

Auto label: the rule got triggered but did not change anything (despite the 'Issues edited successfully')

autolabel.PNG

Does that answer your question?

Thank you!

nmenere
Atlassian Team
July 20, 2020

Hi Maxime,

I don't think "parent" is the right thing to reference here.

In order to understand what info is available can you add a "Debug action" with the following:

Parent: {{issue.parent.key}} Link: {{issue.Parent Link}}

Run the rule and post the audit log here.

Cheers,

Nick

Maxime Stauffer July 21, 2020

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply.

I did it and here is the log:

rulelog.PNG

Best,

Maxime

nmenere
Atlassian Team
July 23, 2020

Thanks Maxime,

Looking into this, it is a bit confusing (I think due to backwards compatibility) - https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/showing-advanced-roadmaps-custom-fields-in-jira-998651396.html

In the example above what was the relationship of the 3 issues that are listed? Was the hierarchy between them? Are you interested in multiple level hierarchy or just Epics/Stories?

If you change the above to debug to use the follwoing, it may give more info:

Epic Link: {{issue.Epic Link}} | Parent Link: {{issue.Parent Link}} 

Cheers,

Nick

Maxime Stauffer July 27, 2020

Hi Nick,

The hierarchy was the following:

1. Initiative

1. Epic

1. Story

I created an initiative with an assignee and a label. Theoretically, The epic and the story should inherit the initiative's assignee and label. 

Jacqueline August 23, 2021

@nmenere Did you ever find a solution? I am having issues in a similar situation getting my automation rules to execute.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2021

Hi @Jackie Scanlon -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I recommend:

• creating a new question,
  • posting images of your rule and audit log,
  • describing what is not working as expected, and
  • adding a link to this thread. 

That will make your question more visible to get community help.  Thanks!

Best regards,
Bill

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

Hi @Maxime Stauffer  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am not familiar with the automation for advanced roadmaps.  And, if it is anything like the other automation rules for JIRA Cloud, there should be an audit log captured near each rule.  Have you investigated logs to check for issues/errors?

Best regards,

Bill

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2020

Thanks for the information @Maxime Stauffer 

If you click on the audit log entries, it will show the execution of the rule steps.  That will help you learn more, such as was the Assignee condition met (empty) in order to proceed.  If not, that would explain why the assignment did not happen.

Also, there appear to be timing issues with the issue created trigger in automation rules...occasionally the rule fires so quickly that the data from the triggering issue is not yet available.  To resolve that, after the rule trigger add an action to re-fetch the issue.  That will reload it before the rule continues processing.

0 votes
Deleted user July 14, 2021

any solution?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders