Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root


1 badge earned


Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!


Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.


Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!


Unreliable Issue Navigator


Recently we have made the following changes to our Jira server:

  • upgraded Jira from version 7.8.1 to version 8.1.0
  • upgraded our custom Jira plugin to version 8.1.0 respectivelly
  • installed Portfolio for Jira

The changes made were successfully implemented. However, since then we have been experiencing weird behaviour with Issue Navigator.


The Issue Navigator is unreliably executing queries. It is returning random and inconsistent amount of results.
The following two images are 3 seconds apart and I can assure you that no changes have been to any of the issues involved in this query. This is only one example of many.



We are suspecting this is related to caching mechanism


as the issue starts occurring about 30 minutes after every server restart. And the only "timer" we have set up is the cache expiration period (30 minutes).

We are currently trying to remove


usage, but we would very much rather fix the caching mechanism instead of tossing it aside.


Is there a known bug that relates to our issue?
Any help and ideas from the community are very welcome.

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
Jun 21, 2019 • edited Jun 24, 2019

Hi Nejc,

It looks like something is going on with the images you linked from the external site, and they are not showing up for us.  Can you try uploading them in your comment directly so we can take a look, this can be done via the camera icon in the comment box and when you drag'n'drop the image into the popup, use the Upload tab rather than the URL tab, and upload the images as a png or jpeg.

But from the behavior you are describing it does sound like a caching issues on the surface so I would say you are on the right track for troubleshooting

A method to verify if this is cache corruption is to purge the add-on and application caching from the server filesystem with a restart and lock and re-index after the restart.  This will give you a purge and full rebuild on any caching on the app's, the bundled plugins, and the application, Noting that if this is a large production site a full lock and re-index will lock out all users until the index rebuild is complete so if a manual re-index takes a while to complete make sure to schedule downtime accordingly, the method to accomplish this is:

  1. Stop Jira
  2. Remove the hidden cache files ".bundled-plugins" and ".osgi-plugins" manually in the $jira-home/plugins directory

  3. Delete the contents of the work directory located in the $jira-install/ directory (!)NOTE: Only remove the contents of the work directory, do not remove the work directory path directly, or the path will not rebuild without manually creating the file path and setting permissions
  4. Delete the contents of the Cache directory, again contents only not the base directory:
  5. Restart your JIRA instance and watch the atlassian-jira.log file for anything else that may be occuring on the backend during startup that could help narrow down any conflicts
  6. Once the application is running trigger a full lock and re-index (The issue data will not be visible until this completes)


Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events