Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Issue Types Hierarchy that is supported to Rollup in Roadmaps

Terri Yeago July 11, 2022

I am importing a MS Project program into Jira.  Because there are so 9 hierarchy levels to the program, I need to know what issue types that Roadmaps will support.  I need to know the levels starting from the top going down.  If possible, I want to avoid using sub task in the plan since this will affect another project that would be mapped into the plan. 

Starting from the top, what would be the 9 levels I can incorporate and manage my project in the plan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2022

Hi @Terri Yeago - I'm not sure that Jira Roadmaps is the right course for this.  Jira is not designed to be a traditional waterfall tool.  Typically, you'll have maybe 2 or 3 issue types above the Epic (Typically just Initiatives and Themes).  It hits a point of diminishing return beyond that.  

However, if you still feel this is the route you want to take, you'll need to create custom issue types for your 9 levels and then define the hierarchy in the roadmap configuration accordingly.  There are no native issue types above the Epic.

Terri Yeago July 12, 2022

@mark , thank you for your time and feedback.  I just wanted to make sure that anything I create above the Epic would show from top/down.  I am not a huge fan for waterfall however, this program was setup via waterfall using MS Project last year and does not end until next year - so I am limited in what I can do due to executives lack of buy-in.  I'm working through the levels now to see what I can eliminate however, some levels has its own unique planned/actual dates that are different than the lower level issue types.  So, that is my dilemma. For future programs, I can set it up as the tool is designed to be used.  Trying to fit a square in a peg hole on this one and to make it work.  I appreciate all your help and response! 

Like Mark Segall likes this
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2022

I'm not a fan of this approach personally, but another option for this would be exploring a 3rd party add-on like Structure and simply using links to define your hierarchy for this case (You could just use epics for everything above).  Then stick with more simplicity for the roadmap hierarchy and save yourself (and other Jira admins) the confusion of 9 different issue types.

Again, I wouldn't stake my reputation on this approach, but it's a way to handle a single use case for a one-off project without making lasting changes to your Jira instance.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events