Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an agile organisation that uses Advanced Roadmap to manage OKRs

Erwin Juenemann November 24, 2023

Hello

My organisation has opted for an agile approach. We use OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) to ensure our work is aligned to our strategy. We would like to better understand to what extent Advanced Roadmaps could help us to record our work and monitor progress of work against the OKRs.

We’d very much like to have a conversation with another agile organisation who already uses Advanced Roadmaps to manage their OKRs.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Many thanks

1 answer

4 votes
Margo Sakova - OKR Board for Jira by Oboard
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 27, 2023

Hi @Erwin Juenemann 

Advanced Roadmaps basically add additional levels to the hierarchy. As a result, you can view all your Objectives, Key Results, and Jira Issues in a structured way. I've put together a screenshot for you of how it may look like:

jira-advanced-roadmaps.png

You can build it in a couple of easy steps:

1. Create new issue types for "Objective" and "Key Result".

jira-advanced-roadmaps-objective-key-result.png

2. Adjust your issue type hierarchy, so that your Objective and Key Result would be on the top. 

jira-advanced-roadmaps-okrs-issue-hierarchy.png

3. Go to the "Plans" and build your Advanced Roadmap.

However, it would be best if you kept in mind that the OKR monitoring and reporting capabilities would be pretty limited. Here are some of the additional perks, you can get with the dedicated plugin - OKR Board for Jira by Oboard:

• With Advanced Roadmaps, you track your progress based on completing the child issues. With Oboard's plugin, you can track your progress not only based on completion but also in percentages and against the target numbers. It's important when you work on long-term complicated issues.

• You can assign a custom weight for each issue, based on its impact on your goal. It will provide a realistic view of the overall progress.

• You will see a status per each objective, key result, and Jira issue: At Risk, Behind or On-Track. It's assigned automatically based on your actual progress and the planned timeline.

• You can also build custom dashboards to report on different sets of objectives.

•  And there is more!

Let me know if you'd like to have a demo. I'd be happy to help!

Shiri Feldman November 27, 2023

Hey @Margo Sakova - OKR Board for Jira by Oboard  - Thanks for the info. I'm exploring alternative ways to effectively manage products alongside the OKRs. Given the limitations in Jira and in Advanced Roadmaps to use hierarchy structure for Components and releases, in addition to the absence of Program grouping, I found this very challenging. Do you have any suggestions or insights on how to effectively display and manage product status? Thanks

Margo Sakova - OKR Board for Jira by Oboard
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 27, 2023

Hi @Shiri Feldman 

You're absolutely right! Managing OKRs in Jira can be quite challenging. Unfortunately, none of Jira's out-of-the-box features are fully suitable for applying the OKR framework.

I've assembled a demo screenshot illustrating how you can structure goals across different products in the Oboard OKR plugin for Jira. If you have fewer than 10 users, it's entirely free. You can create as many OKR levels as you'd like, build groups uniting teams working on each product, link your Jira issues, and track the progress.

product-portfolio-okr-board-for-jira.png

Regarding native Jira functionality:

Advanced Roadmaps appears to be the most reasonable option for OKRs, provided you have Jira Premium.

Alternative options for the Standard subscription include creating custom fields for your OKRs or setting up a dedicated project, where you use epics as objectives and stories as key results.

I hope this information proves helpful 🙂

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events