Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA PLAN - How to add lead time to a task

David Boudreault March 24, 2021

Hi!

I am wondering if there is a way I can add some ''lead'' time in a JIRA task that can be reflected in PLAN.

Exemple:

- Task: pouring concrete takes 2 days

- lead time: concrete needs to cool down 5 days before the next task can start (walls)

How can I address this issue? Estimating 7 days of work would be innacurate.

Thank you for your help,

David

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2021

Hi @David Boudreault,

Unfortunately there isn't a way to create lead time, but there are a few workarounds that I can think of...

If you're not auto-scheduling you could just manually set the dates (this is a bit weak I know, but it's an option)

You could create a zero estimate issue to represent the waiting time and create dependencies between the tasks (this won't be effective if you're using auto-schedule unless you actually set an estimate, but this would impact the rest of the schedule - you could work around that through issue sources and teams but that is probably overkill)

You could use releases and set a start date for the release and assign the dependent issue to it (again, this is only really going to work if you're auto-scheduling) and this might be impractical if you have lots of cases like this.

To be honest, none of these are great suggestions but I thought I'd throw them out there - partly because it depends on the actual context that you're using Advanced Roadmaps so some might actually be applicable in your case,

Adding a lead time isn't something we've had much (if any?) feedback on that I can recall and as a result it's not something on our backlog anywhere.

Regards,

Dave

David Boudreault March 24, 2021

Hi Dave,

I am not using auto-schedule so adding a zero estimate issue could do the trick. I was trying to avoid adding a new task for lead time but it seems to be the only option so far.

Thank you for answering so fast to my question!

David

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2021

No worries, happy to have been able to help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events