Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to bulk re-include or remove issues from Advanced Roadmaps using plan ID?

Pete Hall July 14, 2022

Advanced Roadmaps, while incredibly useful, has some odd behaviors that continue to frustrate me. Namely that saved filters often don't show up as issue sources for days, if they ever show at all, so I cannot use them and that, seemingly randomly, issues are sent to the excluded issues list though I never removed them from the plan to begin with. Often these are stories that I or a teammate had just made. 

This clearly causes me to be a bit mistrustful of the roadmap and requires a lot of manual overhead to ensure accuracy.

issuekey in issuesInPlan("###")

This JQL allows me to query issues that fall within a given advanced roadmap plan but I don't see a way to use the bulk editor to adjust this value nor is it exposed on the issues themselves so my question is this: can one use this field to adjust what issues appear within an advanced roadmap plan either through the front end or through the API and how is that done?

Thanks!

Pete

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2022

Hi @Pete Hall

Thanks for getting in touch, and sorry it's taken so long to get a response here! I'll address your issues with filters and missing issue in your plan separately below.

Filters

It's worth knowing that when searching for a filter to use as an issue source, we match on each term in your search query individually. For example, if you search for Triaged Issues, we will return all filters that contain the word Triaged or the word Issues. You can surround your search query in quotes, for example "Triaged Issues", to only get filters that contain the whole phrase.

In large Jira sites with hundreds or thousands of filters, this will make it a lot easier to find the filters you're looking for. This may be the issue you're coming across not being able to see the filters you've created to use as issue sources!

Missing Issues

It's not possible to use the `issuesInPlan` JQL function to add issues to a plan. Behind the scenes, we actually don't store what issues are in a plan on the issue level. We only store the issue sources and exclusions, then fetch the issues in the plan based on these sources and exclusions at run time.

This means that unless there is a bug (which I certainly don't want to rule out!), then the issues that are missing from your plan either: a) aren't covered by your issue sources, or b) are being excluded for some reason.

I would advice you to take a few issues that you expect to be in your plan and aren't, then first ensure that they are definitely being covered by your issue sources. If so, they must be being excluded for some reason. By default we exclude any issues that have been in a "Done" status for more than 30 days, and any custom exclusion rules can be found in the "Exclusion Rules" tab of your plan configuration.

There are a few other things you can check for why Issues might be missing from your plan - I won't go through them all here, but we have a comprehensive write up here that you can check out.

I hope this is helpful - please feel free to reply or get in touch again if you get stuck on anything and I'd be happy to help out!

Cheers,

Daniel

Pete Hall August 8, 2022

Thanks for your reply, Daniel. I'm a bit bummed that I can't edit the plan associations in some cheeky backend way but I can see how that would be hard to structure.

As for the missing issues, I've spent a lot of time looking at how my exclusions could impact issues that get excluded but haven't been able to find something that seems plausible. The fact that I can re-include them without issue and they seem to stay put after that and you saying that sources and exclusions are run each time the plan loads leads me to believe that some combination of issue sources and maybe a race condition causes false exclusions but I haven't yet figured out a way to reliably reproduce it.

Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2022

Not a problem at all, @Pete Hall

If you're continuing to have issues with issues being incorrectly excluded from your plan and have gone through the trouble shooting steps in the article I linked, it may be worth raising a support request at support.atlassian.com/contact. By raising a request there you'll be able to allow us to access your site directly and hopefully we can give you some more specific advice about what might be going wrong.

Cheers!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events