Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to give a JQL subquery inside ParentIssuesOf or ChildIssuesOf

Filipe Nascimento
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 31, 2019

Hi,

I am trying to run a JQL query for Portfolio where I need to see all child issues of a Campaign for which the user story contains a Label = 'ABC'. That means that I would like to add a filder to the childIssuesOf so that when we reach the user story level, if that user story contains a Label = 'ABC' then return the user story and all its parents.

I've tried to do a composed query with childIssuesOf and ParentIssuesOf but they don't accept a query as an argument. I'd like to do something like:

key in ParentIssuesOf(key in childIssuesOf("JIRA-123") AND labels = 'ABC')

the problem is that ParentIssuesOf only accepts an Issue or a List of issues and it doesn't seem to accept a query as an argument.

So how can we pass a JQL subquery to ParentIssuesOf or ChildIssuesOf?

thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2019

Hi Felipe,

Natively you won't be able to nest this value as covered in these feature requests:

You will want to look into the scripted JQL functions of ScriptRunner "portfolioParentsOf()" and "portfolioChildrenOf()" to pass in a subquery for the search.

The last comment of the JPO feature request gives a really good example on the full query string combinations to use via ScriptRunner

Regards,
Earl

Filipe Nascimento
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 4, 2019

Thank you Earl. I managed to achieve it with ScriptRunner. Thank you.

Like # people like this
Sneha
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 21, 2020

How did you achieve this with ScriptRunner please? Do you mind sharing the queries? Also, is ScriptRunner a plugin to be added?

In the example given JPO features - 

We can achieve this using four filters in Scriptrunner's JQL functions, but it'd be great if Portfolio's JQL could handle it in one.

JQL Via Scriptrunner

Filter 1 (Get Epics linked to parent Initiatives) - issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf("project = ABC")

Filter 2 (Get Stories linked to those Epics) - issueFunction in linkedIssuesOfAll ("Filter 1")

How do you assign "Filter 1" to a query?

--------

this is what I am trying to do ..

This is my list of all Initiatives, which returns a list of 17 initiatives :
"Value Stream" = "name_of_vs" AND "IOP Baseline" in ("FY21 IOP Baseline") 

I then want to find all epics & stories linked to ALL the initiatives.

Help please :)

Kannan Sundaram July 30, 2020

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("project = "XXX" AND Issuetype = "EPIC" AND issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("XXXX-XXX")") OR

issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf(XXXX-XX) AND issuetype not in (EPIC, Sub-task) AND status != cancelled ORDER BY Rank OR

issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("XXXX-XX")

Like # people like this
Zhao, Frank
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 5, 2021

issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf() is not supported in Jira cloud, any suggestions for alternative queries? 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events