Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to display JIRA Software fields in Program view of Advanced Roadmaps

Brandon Bush March 10, 2021

Attaching a screenshot as well, but I am trying to be able to view a few fields on the Scope view of the Program view of Advanced Roadmaps. I see where I can add custom fields, but the list doesn't appear to include the Jira Software fields, including Releases (Fix Version/s) or Component/s or Labels as options.

Dates are not as important for our organization as being able to understand quickly for which release an Initiative is scheduled to be released. It would also then be nice to be able to slice and dice the data by Release and then Label (or Component). I see where I can filter by release, but that really isn't helpful. Are adding these fields to the view possible?

Jira is owned by my organization's DevOps group and I don't have admin abilities to change anything. We have Jira v8.13.2 and Advanced Roadmaps for Jira v3.29.5.

Jira-screenshot.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2021

Hi @Brandon Bush ,

This isn't actually possible in the Program view and unfortunately we haven't got any plans to make any changes to that view in the foreseeable future. I appreciate that this probably isn't the answer you're hoping for, but I just wanted to be honest and set your expectations realistically.

Are you able to achieve the visualisation you're looking for using the plan view (rather than the program)? Is the reason for using the program to do with the number of issues in plans?

Have you explored the improved interface (which provides the capability to group the view by release as well as showing the releases on the timeline)?

Regards,

Dave

Brandon Bush March 11, 2021

Understood @Dave, and I appreciate the quick response. I may be able to achieve the view from the Plan mode (I've been messing around in the improved interface a bit and seems possible), but I was hoping for an easier solution as there isn't a ton of standardization across our program currently. Each team has their own plan, but follows a similar release cadence, so I was hoping for an out of the box roll-up view rather than trying to string issue filters together to get all of the proper data for a separate plan. 

Like Dave likes this
Brandon Bush March 12, 2021

Appears it is not quite possible to do exactly what I want, as the hierarchy of the issues don't share common components or labels, and it appears the group by operates at all levels of the hierarchy. I'd like to be able to group one level of the hierarchy (the initiative level) by component and maintain the drill down of the entire hierarchy to the story level. Oh well.

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2021

Hi @Brandon Bush,

Ideally the group by component should work in a similar way to the filter behaviour so that descendants of issues matching an issue with the component will also appear in the group. Unfortunately it isn't working like this at the moment but it is something that we've had feedback on. My expectation here is that it would work in a similar way to the filtering option to "Show full hierarchy". I'd be interested to know if this would solve your problem or not?

Regards,
Dave

Brandon Bush March 15, 2021

Yes, that would solve my problem exactly: to have the "Show full hierarchy" filter option on but be able to group by the top level of the hierarchy. I had forgotten I had turned on the Show full hierarchy filter to be honest, it's super useful.  

And if we're taking feature requests here :) - It also would be really nice to have the option to be able to roll up from the entire hierarchy into the "Progress (issue count)" bar. Right now it seems the Progress is built from the immediate children nodes only, but it would show a much better picture for our reporting to understand at a quick view how much development effort is left for an Initiative. For us, the hierarchy goes Requirements Initiative -> Requirements Epic -> Development Epic -> Development Story, so being able to report on the percentage of development stories complete for a given Initiative would be ideal as a measure of progress toward meeting a Release date. I have the Rollup "Others" checkbox checked, but that I think is more for dates and such.

Thanks again for all your support! 

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
March 17, 2021

Thanks for confirming @Brandon Bush - I can't make any promises as to when we'll get this feature implemented but I'll do my best to get it into our roadmap.

With regards to your second suggestion, IIRC this was something we considered but in the end decided to only show the count of immediate children. This decision was because issues throughout the hierarchy actually have different "weight".

The full hierarchy is considered for the other progress field (points, hours, days) as the unit of measurement is consistent across all the hierarchy levels so it was considered "safer" to roll-up all the data. 

Regards,

Dave

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events