Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I automatically close all subtasks for a bug

Tim Cooley (TMNA) February 9, 2023

I created automation to accept all subtasks when a ticket is created. However, the Bug uses Closed versus accepted.

So I created a ticket for Bugs as well, but every time it runs it kicks back an error.  Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Screenshot 2023-02-09 115356.png

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2023

@Tim Cooley (TMNA)   What is the error you are seeing?  Do the bug subtasks use the same workflow as the other subtasks?  Can the bug subtasks transition to accepted from all statuses?  

Screenshot 2023-02-09 121649.png

I set it up so that it should. I tried with different statuses and am getting the same issue as above for all statuses I tried.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2023

@Tim Cooley (TMNA) Can you share your workflow on the subtasks?

Screenshot 2023-02-09 124109.png

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2023

@Tim Cooley (TMNA) The only status that can transition to accepted is done.  If the issue is not in the status of done then the automation will fail.  You need to update the workflow so all statuses can move to accepted and the automation will work.

Like Carol Lage likes this

I have the same script running for non-bugs and it works, the subtasks have the same workflow.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2023

@Tim Cooley (TMNA) Can you double-check and see if there are any differences?  It should not work if there is not a transition.  

Everything I am seeing looks the same to me.  When I click on the subtask, the work flow says "Non-Bug Workflow" for both.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2023

@Tim Cooley (TMNA)  Feel free to share images of each flow and each automation.  I am pretty sure that just adding the transition would fix the issue.  I am not sure what the difference is in your automation or workflow.

Tim Cooley (TMNA) February 10, 2023

Here is the automation I used for a non-bug as well as the workflows associated with it.

Non Bug Automation.png

Subtask Workflow (non Bug)

Non Bug Subtask Workflow.png

Parent Workflow (non bug)

Parent Ticket (non bug) Worflow.png

Here is the automation for a bug (Although it looks like I should be able to combine them into one automation, which I tried and assumed I needed to split.)

Bug Automation Workflow.png

Bug Subtask Workflow (appears to be the same as the non-bug)

Bug Subtask Workflow.png

Bug Parent Workflow

Parent Bug Workflow.png

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2023

On the non-bug if a subtask is in the status of in progress and you transition the parent to accepted does the sub-task transition to accepted?

No. I tried that.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2023

@Tim Cooley (TMNA) What account is each automation running under?

Tim Cooley (TMNA) February 13, 2023

I am unsure what you are asking.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2023

Sorry, should have used the correct terminology.  Who is the actor on each of the automations?

Tim Cooley (TMNA) February 14, 2023

I read that article, it is the same for both instances.

Simeon Leatherland
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2023

Hey!

Great question, I can't see the issue off the top of my head, if you want us to look into this deeper for you you can contact https://getsupport.atlassian.com :)

Simeon

Tim Cooley (TMNA) February 20, 2023

@Simeon Leatherland How do i sue that site to get better support? Still having this issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events