Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How change epic rank directly (without drag & dropping)

Michael Kogan April 23, 2019

Dear community,

My portfolio plan has hundreds of epics. It is extremely tedious to prioritize by dragging and dropping. Is there a way to directly change an epic's order/rank?

Thanks in advance

3 answers

1 vote
samrobertsofficial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2019

Hi @Michael Kogan , at the moment we don't have a faster way of doing this. It's a known problem and we're working on a solution (basically adding a 'rank' option to the bulk actions). However I can't say exactly which release of Portfolio will include this. 

At the moment the options we were thinking of adding are:

• Top of plan
  • Bottom of plan
  • Above specific issue (choose issue)
  • Below specific issue (choose issue)

Would this work with your needs? 

Michael Kogan April 27, 2019

Hi @samrobertsofficial ,

The options above will work, although it would be even better if there will be an option to explicitly set the rank value (that would be equivalent to the "Above specific issue" option with the issue which had that rank).

Analyzing our methodology a bit more we have come to the conclusion that the root cause of the reason for which we need effective rank editing is the fact that Portfolio changes the rank uncontrollably, contrary to what one might expect. I think this happens due to automatic release suggestion feature, but it is annoying. I would expect that the only way to change rank is by user, explicitly (or by Calculate button at the very least). Today Portfolio changes the order as it pleases. Is there a way to disable auto-suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

0 votes
Juan S Olivera
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 10, 2023

Hello, I have to say I have the same issue. Trying to use Advanced Roadmap "Auto-Schedule", but for that to work properly I have to have all my EPICs ranked in order. I have almost a hundred at the moment to joggle, so moving one at a time is extremely long. In "Timeline" or Advanced Roadmap, it would be ideal to be able to "multiple select" and then move above or below a certain issue.

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

I use this way when I have huge backlog. I create few future sprints call them as you want .. I name them .. "Important", "Not important", "Clean" .. etc. and then instead of drag and drop simply right click on the issue and choose "Send to" .. and click on the name of the temporary sprint that you created. After ranking simply remove (or keep if you want) those future sprints and you are done.

Ps. Please keep in mind that you can select and move multiple issues. That should be a lot of faster than drag and drop.

Michael Kogan April 23, 2019

Mirek, I was talking about Portfolio for Jira - you are probably talking about Jira Agile. In Portfolio there is no way to create sprints.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

Yes, I missed that part somehow that it is for portfolio.. I read to fast sometimes :( .. Anyway I would get back to you if I found anything for you specific problem. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events