Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I associate an epic to an initiative?

lisa January 13, 2021

Hello community!

I am going cleary crazy as I still cannot figure out how to assign an epic to an initiative. Drag & drop does not work in the "plan" function. Is there any way that I can manually assign an epic to a initiative?

1 answer

2 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

@lisa -

In the AR plan, if you exposed the "Parent" field, then you can associate your Epic to Initiative.  This is assuming that your plan is bringing in the initiative content + your issue hierarchy is properly setup already.

2021-01-13_8-42-28.png

Alternative Option - If you want to associate Epic to Initiative outside of AR plan, then you can exposed the "Parent Link" field for EPIC Issue Type (ONLY) screen in your Jira projects.   

NOTE - The recommended route is still using AR Plan to conduct the roll-up and not the alternative option.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

lisa January 13, 2021

Hi Joseph, 

and thanks for trying to help me out! However I am still super confused and what I can try out next.

• What is AR?
  • How can I make sure the issue hierarchy is set up properly? 
  • How do I expose the "Parent link" field for the epic issue type screen?
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Hi Lisa:

AR is Advanced Roadmaps for Jira (previous named Portfolio for Jira).  Only if have this add-on installed in your Jira environment, then you can setup/maintain the issue hierarchy configuration.

Here is a reference for you information -

https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapsserver/configuring-initiatives-and-other-hierarchy-levels-802170489.html

Also, only when you have the add-on installed in your Jira environment, then you will have the field "Parent Link" available.  To expose this field to the EPIC Issue Screen, you will need to modify your Jira Project's (Project settings) and access the Screens section - modify your screen scheme.

Best, Joseph

Like Dave likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events