Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeze Scope

Phil February 4, 2019

Hi,

my plan is based on several Jira boards. From these boards I am interested in scheduling some issues (issue 1, 2, 3) of a release (release A) in Portfolio for Jira.

When new issues (issue 4 and 5) are added to a release (which is included as an issue source), I don't want these issues to show up in the scope. Is it possible to freeze the scope, so that no issues are pulled, no matter what?

Thanks and regards,

Phil

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Phil February 5, 2019

Hi Scott,

thanks for the answer.

I like your suggestion and am pretty sure that this would work. Unfortunately we are not allowed to introduce new custom fields in our project.

Based on your idea I searched for (and found) an existing field that helped me to set a filter that excludes the redundant issues.

Thanks and regards,

Phil

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2019

Great, I'm glad I was able to help! Could you mark the answer as "accepted" so others can find it more easily?

-Scott

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2019

(Thanks!)

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2019

Hi Phil,

I'm new to Portfolio, so this may not be the best way to accomplish this, but here's my suggestion anyway....

• Add a custom field as a yes/no check box to your issue view called "Freeze Program Scope."
  • When you are ready to freeze the scope of the project  do a bulk update of all the issues in the project to change the check box to "Yes."
  • Copy the filters you currently use for the boards and add a clause for "Freeze Scope = Yes"
  • Use the new filter for your Program. 
  • Lock down or hide the "Freeze Scope field so only an admin can update it. 

This should keep your Program limited to the initial scope of the projects while allowing new issues to be added to a project. 

One caveat though...Like I said, I'm new to Portfolio, so i don't know if adding issues that are not part of the frozen scope would have an unintended consequence to the program. I can think of a scenario where a bug or sub task is added to the project that causes an issue from the scope to be delayed or moved to a later sprint, which could impact your program's timeline. 

If you try this make sure you test it out...and post the results here. If it works, please mark the answer as "accepted" so others can find it.

Hope this helps, 

-Scott

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events