Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic or Initiative?

Daniel Moreira
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 26, 2021

Can I use an Epic instead of an Initiative as a project?

1 answer

3 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2021

Hi @Daniel Moreira 

Short answer is yes. Longer answer is what it is you are trying to accomplish. Perhaps if we look at the hierarchy of the issue types it would be helpful where:

• Initiative is the highest 
  • Epic is contained within initiatives
  • Tasks (whatever the issue type is but task level) is contained within Epics
  •  Subtask levels are contained within Tasks.

Typically, an Initiative is considered to be more of a project level but usually is an initiative in a project (actual Jira project) with really big tasks as Epics under that, the break out of tasks to accomplish the Epic under those, and subtasks if needed to accomplish a given task. 

All of that said, it comes back to how you want to organize your world. The 4 tiers are helpful. However, another element added in like Structure to further assist with organization and visualization. 

Both the benefit and the curse of Jira is that it is what you make it. The upside is that, if you make a mistake and it's not working out, it's always fixable.

Daniel Moreira
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 26, 2021

Tks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events