Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic, Base, and Subtask Issue Type Levels

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2022

I need to create a hierarchy of issues in Advanced Roadmaps as follows:

1. Strategic Initiative
  2. Epic (epic type)
  3. Feature (epic type)
  4. Story(s) (base type)
  5. Subtask(s) (subtask type)

In this scenario the Feature is serving as the Epic for the stories in my part of the organization, but other areas within the org using the same Cloud instance use the out-of-the-box Epic issue type as epics. 

Did something change recently? I tested this out in April before our migration to the Cloud and I was able to successfully set it up, but now I am not.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2022

Hi Scott,

Thanks for getting in touch!

The current state of affairs in Jira Cloud is that the custom hierarchy which you've defined in Advanced Roadmaps is unfortunately only visible within Advanced Roadmaps. In the rest of your Jira instance everything will default back to the standard hierarchy and use Epic as the Epic type. I think this might be the reason other parts of your org are using the out-of-the-box Epic issue type? Do let me know if not though and I'd be happy to dive into this further with you.

While I understand this is frustrating at the moment, I'm happy to share that we are currently working on enabling custom hierarchies throughout Jira, and allowing for Epics to be renamed! You can read our announcement blog post here for more information.

Cheers,

Daniel

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2022

Thanks Daniel, I'll check out the blog post.

Has this recently changed?  I could be mistaken, since I was still very, very new to Advanced Roadmaps, but I remember testing this out in April before our migration to the Cloud and I was able to successfully set it up, but now I am not. 

-Scott

Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2022

No problem, Scott!

From what you've mentioned in your messages, I'm assuming you previous got this hierarchy set up on a Jira Server instance? At the moment it is possible to rename epics and configure a custom hierarchy above the epic level throughout Jira on a Server instance, however this is not yet possible on a Cloud instance.

I emphasis yet because the team here (myself included!) are currently focussing all of our efforts on bringing these features to Jira Cloud. Unfortunately this project was larger than anticipated so the estimated release of mid-2022 mentioned in the linked blog post won't be met, but we're working hard to get these new experienced released as soon as possible.

If you'd like to stay on top of updates for these features you can hit the "Watch" button at the bottom of that post to get notified of any updates.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help clear up for you!

Cheers,

Daniel

Gabriel Roth
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 3, 2023

When will this be available in the Cloud version? Seems like Atlassian has been talking about making this very simple change for YEARS now. Not having the ability to create this structure means that no one using the SAFe framework can build their issue hierarchy to match the standards and practices.

Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
May 3, 2023

Hi @Gabriel Roth - welcome to the Atlassian Community.

I can confirm these changes are still being actively worked on by our team and are currently due to rollout in Q4 2023. You can read a bit more about the full suite of changes that will be rolled out in Epic Renaming blog post. 

I fully understand that these features a long time coming. The project has been a significant technical challenge and our highest priority is ensuring we ship a complete, stable and non-buggy experience.

The team here is working hard to get this delivered as soon as possible, and our public roadmap is kept up to date with any changes to that timeline, so you can keep an eye on the status there. We'll also be sure to communicate any updates here on the Atlassian Community as well.

Thanks,

Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events