cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a new issue type that is parent to Epic

Louise Heller October 23, 2022

I want to create the following structure: 

- Phase -> Epic -> story -> task -> sub-task 

I have created the phase issue type, and added a Parent link to the issue type schemes, however when trying to edit the issue type hierarchy epic is automatically labeled 1, with the new level 'phase' labeled 2. I can't change the levels. 

In addition, when using advanced roadmap, I cannot select Phase when creating an issue. 

Any ideas about what's going wrong?

2 answers

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2022

@Louise Heller -

Welcome to the community.  In the issue hierarchy setup, you will not be able to change the Leveling of "Phase" since it is setup as a parent issue that "Epic" issues can roll-up to.  "Epic" is always at level 1 by default.  May I ask why you want to change the level? 

In regards to create Phase issue in your plan, you need to ensure that the project(s) which the plan's issue sources setup in the plan's configuration have the "Phase" issue type added/setup to project's issue type configuration scheme already.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Louise Heller October 24, 2022

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin,

I wonder if you have an explanation for what's going on in the back end here. I have continued with my initial plan to create Phase as the parent to epic, however on the issue type hierarchy the level numbers have remained as before (i.e., epic 1, phase 2). Physically, Phase is above Epic in the list if that makes a difference. 

However, now that i have used them all in advanced roadmaps it reads as I'd intended with Stories rolling up into Epic and Epic into Phase. Does this introduce problems down the road? 

Apologies, if not already clear this is my first time using Jira. 

Kind regards, 

Louise

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2022

@Louise Heller -

Once your issue hierarchy is configured, there should not be any issue down the road.

In this example -  You will see Initiative issue type is setup as the parent issue type for Epic to roll-up against.  The # level for Initiative is automatically set as @#2..  Any higher up level will be 3,4,5 etc....

2022-10-24_17-49-03.png

As I mentioned before the # of Level cannot be changed.. It is always incrementing at each level.  So, I am still a bit puzzled of your ask on seeing the # level numbering issue?

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2022

Hi @Louise Heller

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

We're currently working on supporting the hierarchy you've described here, however unfortunately it won't be available until next year. You can read a bit more about the upcoming changes in our blog post here. Note that this post mentions a ship date of mid-2022, however the project has hit some delays and we're currently unable to give a more accurate estimate than "sometime in 2023".

Essentially though, once these changes are shipped, you'll be able to rename your epic hierarchy level, the epic issue type, and move new issue types to the epic level. This will unblock you from moving the Epic level up the hierarchy and creating an additional level below.

Regarding not being able to select "Phase" when creating an issue: could you please let me know how you're creating the issue in Advanced Roadmaps? The most likely cause here is the Issue Type not being associated with the projects that are included in your plan. I would suggest checking your Issue Type Schemes and verifying that your Phase issue type is included in the relevant ones.

Please feel free to let me know if there's anything I can clarify further for you!

Cheers,

Daniel

Louise Heller October 24, 2022

Hi @Daniel Capizzi

Noted regarding the update release, bit long to wait in that sense. 

I checked the issue type schemes as recommended, it works now! thanks

Like Daniel Capizzi likes this
Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2022

Glad to hear that's working now!

We're certainly understand the need for this, and are doing everything we can to get this out the door as soon as possible. If you scroll to the bottom of the article I linked and hit "Watch" it'll make sure you're notified immediately of any new information we have as we have it.

Cheers,

Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events