Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring issue hierarchy above epics in Advanced Roadmaps

Felix Klaes August 11, 2022

Hi everyone,

I recently started with the trial version for the jira software premium, to explore the advanced roadmaps and figure out if we need the features in our team.

First I wanted to create an issue hierarchy above epic level. I feel like I did all the steps, but it still doesn't work properly.

I created a new issue type "initiative" Initiative_IssueType.jpg

I assigned the issue type to the issue type scheme of the relevant projectIssueTypeScheme.jpg

I added a new Issue type hierarchy with the new "initiative" issue typeIssueTypeHierarchy.jpg

And in the advanced roadmap, this project is linked (it's the only source in this case)IssueSources.jpg

Now, when I click "create issue" in my plan, the new "initiative" issue appears, but is disabled.CreateNewIssueInPlan.jpg

Does anyone know, where my error is? What did I miss?

Thank you guys in advance, I'm really out of ideas here.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2022

Hi @Felix Klaes - Roadmaps default to Epic at the highest level so you can only create epic and below.  All you need to do is click Filter and under hierarchy, change the From issue type to Initiative.  That should do the trick.

Felix Klaes August 11, 2022

Hi @Mark Segall
thank you very much for the fast help. That fixed my problem. Now everything works as intended.

Like Mark Segall likes this
Team Varolio June 5, 2023

Hey Mark, im trying to do the exact same thing Felix tried here, and i cant find the "Filter" button in the roadmap page. How do i add an issue type "Feature" that is above Epic so i can add epics under "Feature" and user stories under "Epics"? It's extreamly difficult to understand and i cant find any solution.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2023

Hi @Team Varolio and welcome to the community!

You first need to set up your issue type hierarchy.  Assuming you're on Jira Cloud Premium, this can be done under Settings >> Issues >> Issue Type Hierarchy or here:

https://YOURINSTANCE.atlassian.net/jira/settings/issues/issue-hierarchy
Team Varolio June 6, 2023

Hey Mark, first of all thankyou for your response.
i did add "Feature" issue type to the hierarchy. and it supposed to be above "Epic" as it has "2" in the hierarchy level while "Epic" is "1", But when im trying to add a feature in the roadmap board, it adds "Epic" by default. My goal is to be able to add "Feature" by default, and to be able to add "Epics" under it and user stories under "Epic", so the roadmap will include those 3 levels.
Is that possible in Jira? (Yes we have a "Jira Cloud Premium" account.)

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2023

If you're using the basic roadmap feature within the project, it's only going to show Epic and below.  You would need to create an Advanced Roadmap plan.  Navigate to Plans >> Create Plan and you'll be prompted for the issue source where you can use your project board.  If you've linked your Epics to Features using the Parent Link field, your roadmap will dynamically present from Feature down to Sub-Task.

Team Varolio June 7, 2023

Thanks alot for your response Mark. I appreciate your help!

Like Mark Segall likes this
Anil Bhide December 15, 2023

@Mark Segall Need help. Is Advanced Roadmap same as Plans - under plans tab - we get Create Plan option. Or is it a separate option. If we add new issue type in JIRA as say 'Initiative' above EPIC assume its enabled across projects. When i add it as an issue in Plans its outside individual projects - then i have to add multiple EPICS under initiative from different projects to map - is this the way it's supported ? or new custom issue type goes only inside one project ? Thanks !

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2023

Hi @Anil Bhide and welcome to the community!

Correct Plans and Advanced Roadmaps are one in the same.

When you create a new issue type that is expected to reside above the Epic in the issue type hierarchy such as Initiative, you have a choice in how you want to employ it.  Factors to think about as to whether Initiatives should reside with their child issues or centralized in their own project:

1. Governance - Do you want to limit who can create, transition, resolve these types of issues?
  2. Scope - Will the child issues reside on multiple projects?

If the answer is "Yes" to either of these questions, it makes sense to use a central repository for managing the Initiatives.  From there, you would just need to be sure that you're adding that project to your Plan's issue source.

Conversely, if the answer is No, it means that the Initiative is really only adding another layer to a single project and you would just need to add the Initiative to that project's Issue Type scheme and potentially add an associated workflow the workflow scheme.

I hope this helps.  If you have any further questions, I would recommend creating a new question so that (1) this information can be more findable for others who may have similar questions and (2) anyone else attached to this question are not getting spammed.  If you do need to create a new question, feel free to @mention me again.  I'll be happy to help out.

Like Anil Bhide likes this
Anil Bhide December 17, 2023

@Mark Segall Thanks for your response and yes for the Governance and Scope in multiple projects, i will create a new question.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events