Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced roadmaps plan appears to hold over 5000 issues

Els Bassant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2023

Hi Community, 

I have a bit of an odd situation. One of our advanced roadmaps plans appears to hold 6000+ issues and seems to function just fine, when the hard limit is supposed to be 5000 issues.

We discovered this when someone tried to recreate the plan, and was unable to add all data sources of the original. Meanwhile the original plan seems to function without problems. A CSV export shows that it currently holds about 6200 issues.

Does the limit only apply when creating a plan? IE: if more issues are added to one of its sources after creation it bypasses the limit?

We're currently running:
Jira datacenter version v8.13.17
Advanced Roadmaps version 3.29.11

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Yaroshefsky - Visor for Jira
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2023

Hi @Els Bassant

Your question made me curious about this, too. I looked up Jira's software support documentation to see if this limit only applies when creating a plan.

Here's what I found:
A single plan can include 5,000 issues, but at that point, you might see warnings that your performance will slow down. "Some limits can't be exceeded, like issue limits, while others affect your plan's performance or usability." Source: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/limits-on-plan-size-in-advanced-roadmaps/)

However, you mentioned that your first plan has 6,200 issues and functions without problems. Is it possible that your team missed some warning messages the first time?

What can work for you? If you can't upload all data sources of the original plan, you can consider breaking the project up into two or more smaller plans. (Here's more info on that: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/performance-recommendations-for-advanced-roadmaps/)

Hope this helps

Els Bassant
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2023

Hi Michael,

If found the same documentation. Unfortunately this applies to cloud, not datacenter.

I've tried to find a similar document for the datacenter version, but that is where it gets a lot more muddled. Documentation isn't available for all versions, and the (slightly older) documentation for datacenter that I could find still seems to suggest a hard limit of 5000 issues... but doesn't mention what will happen if you go over that.

Though from what I can see on our instance you can't create a plan with over 5000 issues, but if the scope gradually expands it seems to work. Emphasis on seems, because who knows what funky business we'll run into eventually.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events