Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced roadmaps - Roll-up dates not working as expected

Anita Cacic March 12, 2021

Hi,

To me it seems like roll-up dates are not working as expected for my example. I'm using auto schedule and roll-up dates options.

Steps:

1. Enter the estimates and trigger auto schedule. Epic level Start date and Due date are populated as described here
  2. Edit some data (eg. estimates or dependencies) and trigger auto schedule again. Actual result: Stories Start date and Due date are updated but Epic Start date and Due date are not updated

Example:

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 16.42.38.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2021

Hi @Anita Cacic ,

The roll-up of dates is only displayed on an epic if it doesn't have dates explicitly set on it. As you as you run the auto-schedule algorithm it will assign dates to the epic (if possible) and then roll-up will not be applied. You can see when an issue on the timeline has rolled-up dates from the "stripey" pattern that is shown on the issue bar.

The roll-up estimate is not used by the auto-scheduling. Only the actual estimates on issues are used. The roll-up information is only provided as information for the user and not used in the scheduling algorithm. If the epic dates have not changed (but some of the child estimates have) then it might just be the case that the scheduling algorithm is able to fit the work with the previous dates.

Hopefully this answers the concern, but if I'm misunderstood anything then please let me know!

Many thanks,

Dave

Anita Cacic March 15, 2021

Hi Dave, your answer was helpful - thank you. Based on info you provided I have emptied the Dates that were set on epics based on 1st round of auto schedule and roll up dates changed as said in your response. Adding screenshot in case anyone else has this question.

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.13.38.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events