jira portfolio - scheduling - start date

Daniel February 27, 2018

Hi,
Can someone please explain how scheduling works (specifically what effects the scheduled date on an issue) when the  issue is not part of a sprint?
I'm trying to use this reference, but JIRA portfolio is not behaving as mentioned in this post.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/scheduling-behavior-828785428.html

Quoting from this page

What defines a plan start date?
* If there is an active sprint in your plan, the earliest date of all your sprints will be picked up as the start date. You must have teams connected to agile boards for that.

* If you don’t have active sprints then, the earliest fixed release date of your plan releases will define the earliest start date of your plan. Portfolio looks at releases in order. We look at the first release of every project that has a fixed start date and we pick the earliest of them.

* If there are no sprints or releases matching the first two rules, Portfolio uses "today" as the plan start date.

* If you have 2 projects, we look at the first release that has a fixed start date for every project and take the earliest of these. 

point 1 - there is no active sprint on my board so this should not apply
point 2 - right now I only have 1 project and I have set a fixed release (fixed start & end), this start date should technically be my plan start date.
point 3 - I do have a release matching point 2, so this should not apply - but it does & the plan start date (and all scheduled issues) is always today. (updates to the current day every day).

e.g. let's day today is 01/01/2018 & I have an issue with an 3d estimate at 1d of work is logged against it every day.

on day 1 - scheduled start is : 01/01/2018 & scheduled end is 03/01/2018
on day 2 - scheduled start is : 02/01/2018 & scheduled end is 03/01/2018
on day 3 - scheduled start is : 03/01/2018 & scheduled end is 03/01/2018

Why does the scheduled start keep moving forward?

1 answer

0 votes
shafqat
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2018

Hi @Daniel,

One thing to note is that if your fixed release's start date is before today, then Portfolio will use today as the plan start. Only if the release start date is after today will the plan start from that release's start date.

Could you verify if that is the case in your plan?

Thanks,

The Portfolio for Jira Server Team

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events