innocently asks... how do i know what version of portfolio of jira i am using as a non jira admin.

radek January 15, 2020

Seems to not be available anywhere in the app. And app looks markedly different from Portfolio for jira 3.0 product pages.

regards

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2020

Are you on Server or Cloud?

Portfolio has two "views" on Server as well, there's a 2.x view and a 3.x view.  Most of the docs look at version 3 now, but you can swap back to 2.x, which might be what you are seeing.

radek January 15, 2020

Cloud. And I cant see anywhere to swap.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2020

The Cloud version of Portfolio is essentially Portfolio 3, but the UI is very different on Cloud and Server - most of the difference is driven by the underlying Jira Cloud UI.

radek January 15, 2020

Ok then how do I switch over to the swanky new gantt style interface?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

You will need to click the new UI option.  Cloud updates happen regularly, but it can be up to seven weeks before "katest" applies to everyohel

radek January 16, 2020

Oh Ok. is that switch only visible to the jira admin?

radek January 16, 2020

Also didnt jira 3.0 come out more than 7 weeks ago?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

Yes, admins need to do it.

Jira 3 came out around 15 years ago, shortly after I got into Atlassian work.  Portfolio 3 is nowhere near that old, but has been around for months.

But, Portfolio for Cloud and Portfolio for Server have diverged, as Cloud has diverged from Server. 

Sean Bridgeman January 25, 2020

@radek Were you able to have an admin update your Cloud Version to the new UI? The version that I am using looks antiquated in comparison to some of the new features and design of Portfolio. 

Like radek likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2020

No.  Admins cannot update any versions in Cloud.  Portfolio for Jira is installed by Atlassian and is maintained at "the latest available version Atlassian wants to support" on Cloud.

radek January 27, 2020

our current portfolio ver is 1001.0.0-SNAPSHOT

The Admin cant find where to upgrade portfolio.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

Could you read the comment I made before?  Especially the second sentence.

radek January 27, 2020

are you referring to "Portfolio for Jira is installed by Atlassian and is maintained at "the latest available version Atlassian wants to support" on Cloud"?

does that mean that portfolio 3 does not exist for us?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

Yes, that is what I said. 

radek January 27, 2020

Innocently again ;) - Nic so what do I have to do to get it working?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

Sorry, get what working?

radek January 27, 2020

a more recent version of portfolio

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

You already have the latest version.  Again, Portfolio for Jira is installed by Atlassian and is maintained at "the latest available version Atlassian wants to support" on Cloud

radek January 27, 2020

so i have the latest version  which is not portfolio 3 right?

radek January 27, 2020

in which case, when will cloud be upgraded to it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

I don't know how to say this differently. 

Portfolio for Jira is installed by Atlassian and is maintained at "the latest available version Atlassian wants to support" on Cloud

Therefore, it will be ugraded when they have a new version ready to be installed on Cloud.

radek January 27, 2020

Ok now were getting somewhere. Am I in the wrong forum to ask this question? Who should I be asking about when the functionality I want will be available in the JIRA I use.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

You're in the right place, but we can't answer your question.

You have chosen to use Cloud, where you buy a service from Atlassian.  There are some plans to give Enterprise Cloud customers a slightly more fixed platform, but at the moment, and for most of us, you get whatever they are prepared to support, installed when they are happy to do it.

Atlassian does not give out fixed release dates, they release when it is ready.  Both Server and Cloud versions.  More importantly, they don't hand out any details about where they are going.  You can ask them if you might get a certain feature, and you might get a "yes, this date", but generally, you won't get anything back at all.  You can look into JaC to see if they've got something logged and have not yet said "no", and if you keep up with their news and blogging, you can generally get a feel for the general direction, but you'll never get an answer to "when will X happen".  If you're lucky, you might get a "yes we are planning to do that", but I'm afraid your question is probably one where you should be asking "Am I going to get this?", not "When".

I should also emphasise that Cloud is not Server or DC.  They are different products and are diverging.  There are things going into DC that will never go to Cloud and there are things in Cloud that DC will never get.

radek January 27, 2020

Thanks Nic!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events