Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will advanced roadmaps for jira server support above jira 8.14.1 before EOL?

Adl-IT April 26, 2021

So I was reviewing the EOL dates of the different jira versions here Atlassian Support End of Life Policy | Atlassian Support | Atlassian Documentation and I noticed that to get the longest amount of time before needing to move to cloud, you need to upgrade to 8.16

However, we rely heavily on advanced roadmaps for Jira, and the add-on in the marketplace only shows compatibility up to version 8.14.1 which will reach EOL 4 months earlier (11/2022 vs 3/2023). 

So are there any plans to release new versions of advanced roadmaps for jira compatible with the newer server versions so that those of us with this use case can have the extra time to migrate to cloud? If not, are there other things in those newer versions that related to migrating to cloud that we might miss out on? 

Any guidance would be much appreciated. 

2 answers

1 vote
Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2021

Hi Matthew,

I have confirmed that Roadmaps is included in Jira DC in 8.16 and is not available separately. Cheers!

DarkSideMilk April 27, 2021

So if we use roadmaps with jira server, we can't upgrade to 8.16 and get that extra 4 months of migration time?

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2021

Hi @DarkSideMilk,

Can you clarify the question for me ... I don't understand what you mean about 4 extra months of migration time?

Regards,

Dave 

DarkSideMilk April 28, 2021

So, in the link here https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/atlassian-support-end-of-life-policy-201851003.html it shows eol dates for each jira version

i.e. 

8.14 - November 2022
8.16 - March 2023

According to the plugin manager/marketplace listing, if I were to install jira server 8.16, the server version for advanced roadmaps would say it is incompatible. (See also Advanced Roadmaps (formerly Portfolio) - Version history | Atlassian Marketplace where you see the version that works on server (3.29.7) only supports up to jira server 8.14.1)

Another way to explain this would be this screenshot of the Jira Update Check
Screenshot 2021-04-28 134158.jpeg

So because we rely on advanced roadmaps for jira, and we have Jira Server, we cannot upgrade to the latest version of server, 8.16.1, because we would lose advanced roadmaps. So, we're stuck on 8.14.1, which is only supported till 11/2022, where as 8.16.1 is supported 4 months longer till 3/2023. 

I believe this also means we have less time until we have to start our migration to take full advantage of the up to 1 year cloud trial. In order to start before our support runs out we have to start in November of this year instead of March or Febuary of next year. (We did the 24 month renewal of our jira server products in feburary)

That extra time to plan out this migration would be nice. So I just want to make sure we understand the implications of the EOL on the different Jira versions so we don't miss our support windows for the longest possible time for our migration.

p.s. Matt Cook and I work in the same place. But I can't imagine we're the only ones that will have this question/problem.

Like # people like this
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2021

Hi @DarkSideMilk,

Thanks for that detailed clarification - I agree that this is confusing and I think you're right that this could do with greater clarification. I would recommend verifying all of this with support, but this is my current understanding...

DC and Server are actually built from the same source code and (as of 8.15) Advanced Roadmaps code has now been merged into that same repository. It is no longer possible to buy / install Advanced Roadmaps from the marketplace if you are on Jira Server 8.15 or higher (which is why it is regarded as incompatible).

If you are on Jira Data Center 8.15 onwards then you will get Advanced Roadmaps included. The interesting loop-hole here is that if you're an exiting Advanced Roadmaps customer and you upgrade Server (to 8.15 and beyond) you will automatically be upgrading Advanced Roadmaps - it will neither be possible nor necessary to individually upgrade Advanced Roadmaps.

So to answer your question you should be able to safely upgrade to 8.16 and not lose Advanced Roadmaps.

Regards,

Dave

Like DarkSideMilk likes this
DarkSideMilk April 30, 2021

I gave this idea a test and upgraded our Jira to 8.16.1 and found that you are indeed correct.

It shows the version of advanced roadmaps to be 8.16.1 nowimage.png

Thank you for the help. It would be nice if something was on that maketplace listing page, and the other pages where it mentions Jira server users with advanced roadmaps being grandfathered in. To help prevent anyone else being confused like I was. 

Like # people like this
Dave
Atlassian Team
April 30, 2021

Hi @DarkSideMilk,

Thanks for confirming - I've provided this feedback internally about the confusion, I hope (but can't promise) more clarity will be brought to those pages!

Regards,

Dave 

Jonas Frid May 27, 2021

Extra information:

When upgrading to our Jira Server 8.16.1 newly we seemingly GOT Advanced Roadmaps for Jira which in turn meddled with ther settings due to conflicting custom field.

It turned out that we, before my time 5 years ago or so, had a trial version licence of that plugin which, I guess, triggered the automatic inclusion even if that trial version previously was uninstalled.

Disabling Advanced Roadmaps for Jira was not enough it turned out, since that made two new plugins "pop up": "Advanced Roadmaps plan" and "Advanced Roadmaps Team Management" disabling these made our environment work without custom field collisions again.

Daniel Garcia January 31, 2022

Same thing happened to us too. It's installed but not licensed.

Daniel Garcia January 31, 2022

and if you disable it, it automatically reenables

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2021

Hi @Adl-IT,

So are there any plans to release new versions of advanced roadmaps for jira compatible with the newer server versions

For Server we will be releasing updates for critical bug fixes and security updates but those updates won't include new features or minor bug fixes.

For Data Center we will continue to release new features and broadly attempt to maintain feature parity between Data Center and Cloud (however, development will be Cloud first).

Regards,

Dave

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events