Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the 'Progress (story points)' field include sub-tasks in the unestimated metric?

Jordan Job September 1, 2020

When calculating the Unestimated issues metric, the Progress (story points) field takes into account standard issues and sub-tasks. 

In the example below, you can see that I have three standard issues under the Test Epic 1. All three have been estimated. And yet the Unestimated Issues field indicates I still have 3 unestimated issues. 

One of the unestimated issues is the epic itself. The other two are unestimated sub-tasks under Test Story #1

Progress Story Points 2.png

Almost every team I've worked with estimates product backlog items but not sub-tasks, so it's very unfortunate those are factored into the Unestimated issues metric. Is there a method to remove sub-tasks from being calculated in this metric?

Also, it seems like the Unestimated issues may just be buggy given that the Progress (issues) field only shows 3 issues. It does not factor in the epic itself or sub-tasks, which is how I would expect a progress metric to be calculated given that's how 90%+ of teams work.

Progress Issues.png

1 answer

0 votes
Amanda G
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 9, 2024

I'm running into this problem now - where sub-tasks are being included in the 'Progress (story points)' calculations. We don't point sub-tasks, so it's confusing and throws off the progress stats.  Is there a fix for this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events