Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the estimate fields in Jira and Roadmaps not syncing?

JD September 17, 2020

I am having trouble getting the fields in Jira and Roadmaps to sync as I would expect. I am using estimates in hrs and have my boards set up to do so. In my plans, I have the estimation set to hours as well and the estimate field is "Estimates (h)".

In Jira it forces me to enable time tracking and use the "Original Estimate" field, which is not the estimate field for sprint management, so we are recording things in two places, which is getting frustrating.

Did I configure something incorrectly? This doesn't seem like it would be intended behavior. 

Jira V 8.0.1 (server)

Roadmaps 3.29.1

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks, 

JD

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2020

Hi @JD ,

The estimate field is mapped to the "remaining" estimate rather than the original estimate field in order that time tracking can be used.

It would be useful to know what you're trying to do ... are you trying to change the original estimate after it's been set at the end of a sprint for example?

Regards,
Dave

JD September 21, 2020

Hi @Dave

The issue is that the "Estimate" field is being populated by the team, as that is the sprint metric, but that value doesn't sync with the "Remaining Estimate" field, so we have to fill that field in separately. Which doesn't get done consistently because it's duplicating information and they just forget. 

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2020

Hi @jd

I just want to make sure I understand correctly ... when you say:

the "Estimate" field is being populated by the team

...is this in the Advanced Roadmaps plan interface or in the main issue details view?

If this is in the plan (e.g. under the "Estimate (h)" column) then when you save that change back to Jira it should update the "Remaining estimate".

When you create a new issue on the board and set the "Original estimate" is should also be setting that value as the "Remaining estimate" on the issue and when you load that in the plan it should show up as the "Estimates (h)" field.

Is this not the behaviour that you're seeing?

Is the problem that the team is updating the "Original estimate" which doesn't update the "Remaining estimate" ?

Regards,

Dave

JD September 22, 2020

@Dave 

Thanks for that breakdown. As you highlighted, I think the issue is that the "Original Estimate" field is being updated.

Thanks for your help, I'll mark this one answered.

-JD

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
September 22, 2020

No worries, @JD - glad I was able to help!

JD September 24, 2020

Hey @Dave 

If the story gets created in Roadmaps, does it still save the first estimate to the "Original Estimate" field, then revisions (regardless of where they are made) get saved to the "remaining estimate" field?

-JD

Dave
Atlassian Team
September 24, 2020

Hi @JD ,

I just checked this to be sure and unfortunately it doesn't (although I can see why you would think that it should). It just updates the "Remaining estimate" field when setting an estimate for the first time.

Regards,

Dave

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events