Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my children not showing with the parent JIRA in portfolio view?

aurelie Beltrando January 7, 2021

Hello,

I have been struggling with this issue for some time now and looking to get some help. I have been working to link different JIRA using parent/children so they reflect on the portfolio view. I linked the items, within each tickets and can see the relation updated in the ticket. However, I still do not see the item showing in the drop down of the parent tickets. For the two that are showing, it is only after I manually dragged them over. 

To note, I am using a filter instead of a project as looking to pull from multiple projects but I have also tried only having one defined project and it was still not working. 

I compared a child that I dragged over and one I have not and they are exactly the same. However, in the parent ticket, the child I dragged show up differently (3rd screenshot)

Parent.JPGParent2.JPG

Parent3.JPG

Thank you

Aurelie

2 answers

1 vote
aurelie Beltrando January 11, 2021

Thank you. It feels a bit counter productive to have a link that enable linking JIRA but yet not recognizing that link in the portfolio view but I tried the suggestion and it worked so Thanks a lot!

Can an EPIC only be a child of an initiatives? Or is there a way to have a task be a child of an initiatives?

Thank you

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2021

@aurelie Beltrando There are essentially 3 different hierarchy relationships:

• Epic link (from epic to story level issue)
  • Sub-task (from any issue to a sub-task)
  • Parent link (from any issue other than epic or sub-task to any other issue)

The first 2 are relationships originally created in Jira.

The 3rd (parent link) was originally introduced by a 3rd party plugin that Atlassian acquired (initially called Portfolio for Jira, now known as Advanced Roadmaps).

There is was originally no flexible hierarchy in Jira, but Advanced Roadmaps introduces this.

You can create additional hierarchy levels (above epic) and then associate specific issue types with those levels. You use the parent link relationship to create the hierarchy relationship between issues at those different levels.

So an epic can be a child of any issue type associated with the hierarchy level created directly above epic (and quite often people call that first level above epic "initiative" but it could be called anything).

I hope that helps,

Regards,

Dave

Like Chandu Tadanki likes this
0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2021

Hi @aurelie Beltrando 

Could you confirm what version of Portfolio / Advanced Roadmaps you're using and whether you're using Cloud or Server please? It would also be useful to know what Jira version you're using too.

Your screenshots look a little unusual to me because I wouldn't expect to see the parent link shown under issue links - but rather just in the child issues section.

Can you confirm how you're creating the relationship between DABI-596 and DABI-601? Are you using the parent link field provided with Portfolio / Advanced Roadmaps or have you created a custom link?

Any additional information will help us understand what's happening,

Regards,
Dave

aurelie Beltrando January 8, 2021

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your response. 

We are using Version 3.11.0 and we are on the server.

I have tried a 2 ways to link  create the relationship

1. Directly created the child ticket via the parent ticket using  'create linked issue' in the parent JIRA and just created an epic link from there. 

2 Clicked on the little + link across 'Issue Links' and linked my existing parent with my existing child tickets. 

Thank you

Paul O
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2021

Issue links and parent -> child hierarchies are different things.

It sounds like you are linking issues and whether the link is called 'parent of', 'child of' or 'first cousin of' doesn't matter in terms of hierarchy - they are a just words used to label the connection between two items.  Remember: the tasks and stories in an EPIC are not issue links they are in the EPIC as a hierarchical relationship. 

If you want to create the parent -> child relationship within a (child) issue you need to use the EPIC LINK field on the issue screen (for tasks/stories to EPIC) or the PARENT LINK field on the issue screen (for EPIC's to their parent issue type e.g. Initiative)

Similarly, from an EPIC screen you'd use the small + sign next to issues in EPIC to create new issues from within the EPIC

Within the Portfolio plan view, you can simply drag and drop a 'child' issue over a 'parent' issue to create the same relationship (remembering to save your changes back to Jira)

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2021

@aurelie Beltrando one other thing that might not be obvious is that if you want to be able to set parent links from within the issue details screen then you'll need to add the "Parent Link" field to the screen (and depending upon your setup you might need to do this for multiple screens). You should be able to use the "Where is my field" link when editing an issue and this will help you identify if the Parent Link field is present and if it isn't, provide guidance on how to add it.

As @Paul O describes - a parent link is not a standard issue link, it is a hierarchical link that is very similar to the epic link.

Regards,

Dave

Kruno April 21, 2022

@aurelie Beltrando @Dave 

Did anyone find the solution for this issue? I am facing the same and already lost all my nerves as it just doesn't make sense.

- I use the Parent Link

- The Issue Hierarchy is set correctly in the Settings

- I can even see the children on the main issue

Like Andrea Coop likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events