Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Team Managed Projects/Boards not supported in Advanced Roadmaps?

jay.vergara February 9, 2022

When I go to create a plan in Jira and try to select a Team-Managed Project or Board I'm unable to. In the drop down I see a list of Team-Managed Projects and Boards with a message, "Team-manage projects are not supported."

My team setup up all new Projects/Boards, documented the process for setting it up, created and agreed to standardized issue templates, agreed on a standard Kanban board setup, and developed reporting.  

The next step was to start leveraging Advanced Projects to start managing cross project and team dependencies... but finding this out really put a damper on the work we have done to date. Nowhere during the process did we know, understand, nor were notified this would be a limitation until we decided to start using the create plan feature.

We currently have 18 projects setup this way. We are just starting to get buy-in from our user community and this is going to be a significant setback. 

We are asking for assistance and suggestions on what we should do with the existing projects that will have the least impact. We really need to insure the least amount of impact to our existing setup and configuration as possible. We do not want to lose the progress and buy-in we are starting to gain from our users community.

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.

Make it a great day!

Jay Jay V 

2 answers

0 votes
Kamil Baran December 14, 2022

Advanced Roadmap and plan based workflow is major reason to upgrade from standard to premium plan. 
Migration of TMP projects over to CMP is so expensive for us (such a waste of time) that it is unbelievable that you don't really care for so long to make it user friendly. 

I'd rather pay for third party plugin which provides similar features than bother to execute workaround. 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2022

Hi @jay.vergara , I certainly Understand your frustration. TMP projects certainly have their pros and cons. I know that Atlassian is working on implementing TMP for Advanced Roadmaps but I have no clue as to win that might come out. One option would be to migrate all of your TMP projects over to CMP. However this is not a simple task and depending on your configurations could be quite tedious to replicate and clean up. TMP projects have their own roadmap view but they aren't cross project.

FWIW, Atlassian has attempted to make these limitations clear in their docs, e.g. here - what-is-advanced-roadmaps 

M February 16, 2022

Hi Jack 
How to migrate TMP project to CMP? 

M February 16, 2022

Hi Jack 
How to migrate TMP project to CMP? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2022

Hi @M , there are a lot of discussions in the Community on this and you may find value in reading some. With that said here is a guide on the process - migrate-from-an-next-gen-project-to-a-classic-project 

jay.vergara February 17, 2022

@Jack Brickey Out of curiosity... Do you know the reasoning behind the decision to allow corporate vs not allowing team boards/projects to be brought into Advanced Projects? This sounds like it can be as simple as a flag or check box setting to enable this functionality... But I can also be way off base. Having an understanding would help everyone understand the details and complexity level. Also, where does this fall on the priority list for Atlassian? Before a customer has to follow all the steps to migrate this work to a corporate-managed project... We would rather understand what the expected timeline is for this to be enabled. I mean you think customers are frustrated now that there were no notifications as we ran through the setup steps in the first place. Imagine how angry we would be if we execute what you outlined and then the change gets implemented in the same quarter as an example. Not having a timeline for something with this level of impact to an organization(s) and the number of steps required to make this work with Advanced Roadmaps would be good customer service... Don't you agree?

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2022

No no. There are a great deal of differences here. Advanced roadmaps is part of the previously known as Portfolio product which was built in alignment with Classic Jira. TMP was a ground up redesign so it simply doesn’t fit into the portfolio implementation. At least not yet. 

Like jay.vergara likes this
jay.vergara February 17, 2022

@Jack Brickey so that sounds like an integration/migration is needed. Do we know where this sits on the priority list for Atlassian? i.e. critical, high, medium, low, lowest

Is it even on the Jira product backlog of work? My assumption is you follow the same agile processes, best practices, and principles for your internal development efforts.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events