Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Issues are being imported without their parent Epics?

Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2016

I am using the new Portfolio 2.0 on a JIRA cloud installation and I have a Plan set up.  I am trying to bring my epics in.  I am selecting the epics from the Plan-->Configure-->Issue Sources-->Edit Sources-->Confirm what's in Scope.  And a bunch of the Issues are coming in as "Issues without parent Epic" even though they have Epics within JIRA.  And a bunch of the Epics I've selected for inclusion aren't coming in at all.  These are not Epics that I have previously excluded from the Plan.

6 answers

0 votes
Lev Kurts August 16, 2017

So basically the very first answer explains it. Issues of a type 'Epic' should be present in your result set that you are using as a source for JIRA portfolio - be it coming for a board or from a filter. This effectively excludes any filters and boards that would  might have issues filter by 'having an Epic Link = SOMrTHING. You need to include another source, which would esentially say this explicitly: Epic Link = "YOUR EPIC"

philas April 8, 2019

Hi,

i have the same problem but i dont understand your proposal lev.

My projects have EPIC and Stories.

And the EPICS  are not shown by Portfolio when i import it.

the are under featurea and safe epic - see here.

picture_Portfolio_community.PNG

0 votes
Sreeraj Menon May 31, 2017

I have same issue with exactly same setup as your Ericka. Any luck ?

0 votes
Louise Kasemeier July 22, 2016

I was having the same issue.

It turns out that Portfolio won't bring in Epics at all if the Fix Version field is missing from the Epic screen in the project you are trying to add to your plan. The field can be empty, but it must be present.

This seems like a bug.

Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2016

yes the fix version is there

0 votes
Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2016

the filter is the basic project = "xxx" ORDER BY Rank ASC

and the Epic Link is included in the columns displayed

Is there anything else this could be?  Is it because I never did a Commit from Portfolio before trying to reimport?

You have to be able to do that right?  What if you've excluded some Epics from your Plan and then decide you need to re-include them?

0 votes
Jim Degnan July 8, 2016

Yes - as Michael noted - double check your filter query utilized by the JIRA board included in your plan. 

0 votes
Michael_Brown July 8, 2016

We had a similar issue and were able to resolve it by changing the filter query on the JIRA board that was serving as our issue source. In JIRA we had a filter query that included:

issue type != epic

Removing this from the source board filter query resolved the issue. Hope that helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events