Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When using Jira Automation, can you prevent duplicate subtasks from being created?

Bruce Mitchener January 19, 2022

Within Jira Automation, if you are to have an action that creates a comment, you can select a checkbox that disables duplicate comments being created. I would love to know how I can prevent duplicate subtasks from being created. Currently there does not appear to be a checkbox for the subtasks. I was trying to use an if/else check, but couldn't quite get the syntax down. I would love some help/ideas on how to solve this one.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bruce Mitchener January 20, 2022

Looks like the move was using a Related issues condition where the related issue was 'sub-tasks' and the condition was 'are not present'. Then an action is added to create sub-tasks. Now the tasks only generate the first time!

1 vote
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2022

It would be good to know what trigger and conditions you are using, as that could influence the solution. But at a high level, I agree with @Pramodh M use JQL to restrict or check to see if such sub-tasks already exist. 

My action trigger is when the task is moved from panel A to B, but if you keep moving it back and forth from A and B, the sub tasks continue to regenerate. So my goal is to create these subtasks on the first attempt and that is it.

1 vote
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2022

Hi @Bruce Mitchener 

Use JQL to restrict the issues from being created using if condition and refetch issue data automation to check whether the issue is already created while automation is running!!

Let me know what exactly you trying out

Thanks,.

Pramodh

I will certainly give JQL a go! My action trigger is when the task is moved from panel A to B, but if you keep moving it back and forth from A and B, the sub tasks continue to regenerate. So my goal is to create these subtasks on the first attempt and that is it.

Saba Mushtaq May 9, 2023

Have you got solution? As i am facing same issue. What should i write in JQL condition 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events