What is the logic behind Estimates vs Capacity?

Anita Domańska March 7, 2022

I really don't understand how I can use capacity functionality in Advanced Roadmaps as when I'm testing it ...it works opposite to what is logical for me. Im trying a way to escape from BigPicture Resource Planning as we don't find it user friendly, but...

Example:

1. We put estimate (Original estimate) on the task 10h
  2. Estimate is not visible on the Plans (Resource management) in the column Estimates (h)
  3. I book time 1h in Tempo on that task
  4. Estimates (h) field in Plans now started to display value = 9h (it took out 1h from Our Original Estimate and put 9h into Estimate field of Plans)
  5. Capacity in Plans now just sees you need to work 9h while your capacity 100% is still full not affected by the fact I already used up 1h during that week. Only estimate decreased when you log time.

For me this behavior doesn't make sense.

I would expect that when I log time...my capacity decreases and not estimate Decreases to actually increase my capacity!!!

What Im doing wrong?

I would like to do following thing:
- put estimate on the task and display it in the Plans (ie. Original estimate field but can be something else) - estimate that wouldn't change automatically when I log time spent

- see what is remaining estimate after booking time in Tempo = Original estimate - time spent

- team capacity to be impacted the way, that estimated time is decreasing total Capacity

Thanks for your advice,

Anita

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2023

Hi @Anita Domańska

I found strong signs that "Original estimate" cannot be used within Advanced Roadmaps:

Also integration Tempo <-> Advanced Roadmaps seems to be something which is not supported:
https://ideas.tempo.io/ideas/T-I-938

In the first step I'd like you to ask to review the very first link if it corresponds with what you are observing. Happy to have some feedback here!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events