What is the effect of ranking releases in the advanced roadmaps module

Ron Becker December 15, 2020

Hi,

I've a project in Jira with a lot of unreleased versions. This Jira project is used by several teams and the different teams assign issues to different versions. All the releases\versions are included in a roadmap plan.

Now I see that it is possible to rank the releases in the roadmap plan (I can drag them up and down in the Release section). I was wondering what the impact is when reordering the releases.

See attachment.

Releases in Roadmap.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
chris.reyes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2020

If you use auto-schedule, the rank of the releases among the teams will determine within that team what items are completed first along with rank of the individual items themselves. 

Ron Becker December 15, 2020

Hi @chris.reyes, not sure if I understand this. When looking at the releases list in the picture I've attached. Should I reverse the order? Should the release that needs to delivered first be positioned at the top of the release list?

Do you know if this is documented somewhere?

David Purdie November 17, 2021

Hi

I stumbled across this today when trying to auto-schedule and think the documentation around this is missing.  

I think the Rank of the FixVersion is considered before the dates of the FixVersion. For example, if you have a January 2021 Release that is ranked lower than a December Release, auto-schedule will put stories into the December 2021 release. 

Something else I discovered on my instance is that Rank in Plans is higher rank at the bottom and lower rank at the top. When I ordered in this way, auto schedule worked and Releases still show up in JIRA in the top to bottom (correct) order.

It also seems that previous versions showed what had been used to derive the schedule but our version just shows the dates, release etc. to be updated but not the reasons behind it.

This stuff should be so much easier, I have spent hours trying to discover this out and better documentation would have definitely helped.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events