Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can use in exchange to skipped "default estimates" ?

Alexander Dobry September 23, 2020

"Default Estimates" do not exist anymore in the improved interface :( This was a very useful feature. It helped me to judge roughly the overall scope quickly independent of timing . What feature replaces this and how?

image.pngimage.png

1 answer

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2020

@Alexander Dobry - In the new improved UI, it give you the ability to set what date fields that you want to use to your scheduling for your issues.  In the old live-plan UI, the application uses the internal calculation for "Scheduled Start/Scheduled End" fields (in our case, it was associated with the issue's release association).

You can click on the clog wheel and select "Configure" option and go to the "Scheduling" section to see the setup

2020-09-23_7-28-30.png   

Hope this helps (assuming I understood your ask).

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Apps Team

Viasat Inc.

Alexander Dobry September 24, 2020

screenshot2208.png

Thank you, unfortunately not :) I do not use dates / time to judge scope of work. If I have a lot of still unestimated stories , the former version allowed me under schedule to preset a default value for an "unestimated story" e.g. greyed "8" see pic above. With this I quickly get an rough rolled up value on Epic level across all stories. The new version does not provide this opportunity. Now I need to enter story points in each story to get the same result.

Alexander Dobry September 28, 2020

@Joseph Chung Yin I added a more detailed explanation here, hope this helps to understand what I mean. Thank you :)

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2020

@Alexander Dobry - I recommend that you submit a formal support case with Atlassian on this question.  I am interested in their responses.

Best, Joseph

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2020

@Alexander Dobry - Here are some additional details on the New AR (improved UI) versus the old AR's (Live Plan UIT) on auto-scheduling of unestimated tasks comparison -

https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapsserver/auto-scheduling-issues-967895245.html

It seems the default story point for unestimated tasks configuration is no longer available in the new improved UI.

Here is another link on Scheduling for AR 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/scheduling-967895166.html

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Matt Hudson November 2, 2020

I have the same question/problem. We use Kanban, and follow the best practice of creating issues that roughly the same size. It saves a huge amount of time so the developers can spend more time doing what they enjoy and are good at - developing - versus sitting in planning meetings trying to put together an estimate for every ticket. 

This is a main tenant of Kanban - all tickets should be roughly the same, so flow (and planning) can be calculated based on the number of issues addressed. Thus a default estimate should be used for scheduling.

It is very disappointing that the "improved planning" doesn't allow defaults to be set. Is this feature coming to the system soon? 

Thanks,

Matt

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events