Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using custom hierarchy in Advanced roadmaps

Vesa Purho
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 3, 2022

In one of my clients, there is a setup in Jira where they have crated the SAFe structure as follows:

• Jira Epic - SAFe Epic
  • Custom issue type Feature - SAFe Feature
  • Jira Story - SAFe Story

Feature are linked to Epics using Epic link. Stories are linked to Features using a custom issue link "implements" / "Implemented by". 

Then there can be blocks/blocked by -links between features or stories. 

Can

- Advanced Roadmaps handle this Feature between Jira Epics and Jira Stories or does it always assume that Jira Stories are always linked directly to Jira Epics

- If we would have a blocking relationship between two Stories belonging to two different Features, would Advanced Roadmaps then show that dependency also at Feature level (if it at all supports this structure). 

We are already using Jira Structure to show the hierarchies so that is not an issue, the question is that does Advanced Roadmaps support this kind of setup?

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2022

@Vesa Purho -

Welcome to the community.

In AR for Jira plan, it currently cannot process issues source that have issue links (i.e. Stories linked to Feature).  It has to be what is defined in your issue hierarchy configuration - by default is the standard setup of 

Epic 

>>> Story (Any other standard issues type the rolls up to an Epic, i.e I am assuming your Feature issue type).

>>>> Subtasks

In your case with AR for Jira plan, you may need to have your story also roll up to EPIC via Epic link just like your Feature issue type.  Or create subtask associate to your Feature issue instead of have story issues.

Yes, Structure for Jira can handle your current setup, but it cannot be done in AR for Jira plan.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Vesa Purho
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 4, 2022

Thanks Joseph, so this option is out for visualising the dependencies. In the standard setup, if there are blocks-links between stories belonging to two different Epics, does the AR show then a visual link also between the Epics when the stories are not shown?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2022

Unfortunately no, you will need to display the stories to see the dependencies link visually.

Best, Joseph

Levi Clarke November 9, 2023

Im trying to execute a similar architecture. I see this thread is over a year old. Is there currently a way to create, and then visualize this with Advanced Roadmaps?

1) Epic

2) Features

3) User Stories (these could be across multiple dev teams)

I need to display quarterly plans at the epic level across all Features, then increment plans across all teams at the feature level then manage sprint activities on the actual dev teams. 

I need to maintain the linking tasks->stories->features->epics

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events