Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Advanced Roadmaps for JIRA

Luis Cano March 10, 2021

Researching whether using advanced roadmaps for JIRA will benefit my organization.  I've read the documentation but would like to see a DEMO, if available.

2 answers

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2021

You can check out this guide for Advanced Roadmaps, at the end there is a link to a post with a couple of videos. Here is a link to the Demo Den video about Advanced Roadmaps from last year.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2021

The Demo Den also have other videos showing different features in Advanced Roadmaps. You can find all of the Demo Dens here, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaD4FvsFdarQ5olct4styFgPxSesjj-vL

Like Dave likes this
Luis Cano March 10, 2021

@Mikael Sandberg ,

I will review demo from link provided.  Thank you!

Robert Aikins March 11, 2021

I've also had some questions about Roadmaps and this guide helped me https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/roadmaps/advanced-roadmaps#create-a-road

Thanks, Mikael! 

Like Dave likes this
0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2021

Hi @Luis Cano ,

I'm on the Advanced Roadmaps team, as @Mikael Sandberg mentioned there are quite a few videos in the "Articles" space of this section of the community: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Advanced-Roadmaps-articles/bg-p/portfolio-for-jira-articles

It would be really useful if you could give us a brief summary of what you're hoping to achieve with Advanced Roadmaps as that would help me give you more specific pointers of which resources to review. If you could provide an idea of the size of your org (number of teams, team size, number of projects, etc) and how you work (e.g. scrum, Kanban, SAFe, etc) and what problems you're trying to solve then that would be really helpful!

Regards,

Dave

Luis Cano March 10, 2021

@Dave ,

My organization uses JIRA (both scrum and Kanban) to plan and track the status of development work across functional teams.  We've just recently learned about advanced roadmaps for JIRA and wondered it could be utilized to plan based on capacity, track dependencies, manage competing priorities, and explore alternative scenarios to plan and track multiple teams working on projects.

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2021

Thanks for that additional information @Luis Cano ... in which case I would suggest that Advanced Roadmaps is ideally suited to your needs as it ticks most of those boxes.

Essentially with Advanced Roadmaps you can create plans which source issues from one or more projects, boards or JQL filters (in any combination). It provides a Team field and team based capacity planning (we're looking at enhancing this to provide some individual capacity capabilities so if you have specific use cases around this then it would be great to hear them).

Each plan is a "sandbox" so the changes you make aren't immediately applied to issues until you commit them. You can also have multiple scenarios in a plan so you consider alternatives before settling on a specific plan.

It also provides a dedicated report for reviewing your dependencies that allows you to visualise the dependencies between teams. You can also view those dependencies in the roadmap and it will warn you when you have scheduling issues resulting from dependent issues being planned out of order.

As well as this you get additional hierarchy levels above Epic and an auto-scheduling algorithm to generate a roadmap from the estimates that you provide.

Most of these specific topics are covered in the demo video articles on this page: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Advanced-Roadmaps-articles/bg-p/portfolio-for-jira-articles 

I'd recommend you review that content and let me know if you have any specific questions!

Many thanks,
Dave

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events