Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Release date as due date in advanced roadmaps

Hans Meijer January 26, 2021

When an issue is planned for a release/version; can the release date be considered as due date/target date in portfolio?

Or is there an easy method to sync the due date with release date?

Thanks in advance, and regards,

Hans

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2021

Hey @Hans Meijer ,

There is some light coupling between release date and issue end date - although admittedly not in the way that you're describing. If an issue is assigned to a release and its end date is set after the release date then the release will be shown as off track. Unfortunately the issue in question is not displayed differently and the end date is not applied.

We have actually done some experimentation with inferring issue dates from release dates (as is also possible with sprints) but are not yet committed to making that change at the present time - however, this does sound like it would do what you want, except that the dates would only be visible in the plan and not persisted to the issues (which I'm guessing you wouldn't want).

I think that the suggestion that @Fazila Ashraf is an interesting one and it might be possible with the automation features that also come with Jira Premium (if you're using our Cloud platform - you've not tagged this question with Cloud or Server so I can't tell!)

Regards,

Dave

Hans Meijer January 28, 2021

Thanks @Dave We are using the server version.

Indeed, i would only want it to be visible in the plan, and not persisted in the issue.

Can i subscribe to an issue to be notified, if such functionality becomes available?

Regards,

Hans

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2021

Hi @Hans Meijer ,

Unfortunately there is no specific issue at the moment because we're not actually sure if we're going to take those prototypes any further or if they're going to become part of something else, therefore we've not raised an issue that could be tracked yet.

Regards,

Dave

Hans Meijer January 31, 2021

Thanks Dave

Like Dave likes this
Jonathan Andree
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 29, 2021

Any updates on this? I would like to see the visual timeline populated directly from release date. I am on cloud, using kanban. The release is the only place I have a date.

Max Richardson October 4, 2022

A year an a half after the original post I note that scheduling by Release is possible in Cloud:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/schedule-issues-in-advanced-roadmaps-according-to-releases/

Is there any chance that this will become available in Data Center? It seems that currently only scheduling by Sprint is possible.

We are using Roadmaps to track delivery of business objectives, which are comprised of Epics, which in turn will be considered delivered only when the last Story has been Released. Sprint dates are not helpful here, as on some platforms they can perhaps conclude several weeks prior to their release.

Furthermore, we can't base our Roadmaps on boards as the list of projects contributing to an Epic is potentially unknown; instead our Roadmaps are filtered on children of Epics, whatever their project maybe. As we don't include boards, even Sprint scheduling is unavailable to us. 

Roadmaps already imports the Releases of the Stories and, separately, the Release dates. It seems crazy not to join these up.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

@Hans Meijer  , i was in the same situation and what i did was - using the scriptrunner's scriptlistener, i scripted that when ever a ticket in the project is edited, copy the 'custom date' field to 'target end date'.

Hans Meijer January 28, 2021

Thanks @Fazila Ashraf 

Where does the "custom date" come from?

Thanks again, and regards,

Hans

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

@Hans Meijer  , in your case it is duedate but in my project, there was date custom field that the project team was already using to mark the end date. It was that i had copied over

0 votes
Max Richardson October 4, 2022

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events