Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two different Hierarchies for the same Epic

Lance Wadman March 28, 2022

I have two people (Project Managers) that want to track EPics using different Initiatives (Parents).  I cannot find a way to do this, since there is only one parent per issue.  The two PM want to group by their initiatives but get udpates from the Epics.....Is this possible

3 answers

3 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2022

Hi @Lance Wadman 

To clarify, your PMs want to give Epics two separate parents?

If so, this isn't possible. It's only possible to have one parent per Issue.

You could use linked Issues to show one of the relationships - as a sibling - but I'd encourage you to understand what the need for two parents is, and see if any restructure of the data would be more beneficial for the team :)

Ste

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2022

I second @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ advice.

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2022

@Lance Wadman -

As mentioned by @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ , please note that if you go with the linked issue route, it will not be able to be displayed in Advanced Roadmap for Jira plan UI.  AR for Jira currently doesn't support reporting of issue relationship via issue linked operations.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Zaheer Khan March 29, 2022

but if you use , Relates to , Blocked by or Defect of , it will show up as a dependency on your Road-map , which can then be managed. 

An Alternative is to create a "Dependency Task" and link the two issues to this , it wont show in your Hierarchical drop down - but it will show in your dependency mapping view and that will give the status of the Epic in relation to the what has been linked to it 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2022

It can actually be any link type! It just depends on your Advanced Roadmaps setup.

See this page: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-dependencies-in-jira-for-advanced-roadmaps/

Ste

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 29, 2022

Hi @Lance Wadman 

You can use issue links to create multiple hierarchies under an Epic or in fact at any level.

If you would be interested in a paid app, to visualize the hierarchy based on the issue links, we have created an add-on to track the progress at each level,

Agile Tools - Epic Tree, Links Tree and Time in Status 

Key features of Links Hierarchy:

• Hierarchy upto 10 levels deep
  • Progress % on "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion at all levels
  • Ability to add/remove the columns on the report

Disclaimer: I work for RVS, the vendor for this app, and I am one of the developers in the team

Links HIerarchy.PNG

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events