Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Team Velocity not a shared value

Matt Wakeman August 5, 2020

Hello,

I have two types of Plan in my Portfolio configuration. 

• Release Train Plans
    • All tickets relating to a collecting of teams located in a single Jira Project 
  • Product Plans 
    • All tickets relating to a specific product - pulling tickets from many Jira projects using a custom field. 

The plans work great but I want to be able to associate the Teams and the associated boards - show we can show sprint capacity etc 

It appears that the Velocity field for each team is Plan specific, even for shared teams. 

• How can I sync the Team velocity between Plans? 

I am fine is there is a REST API which allows me to set the value outside of Portfolio but I cannot seem to find any references to the velocity in the API docs. 

Thanks

Matt 

1 answer

0 votes
Evan Golden {VisualScript}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 5, 2020

Hello Matt,

If I understand correctly, you have multiple teams that are part of a single release train.  The release train has a single Jira project that has a collection of tickets that the teams are working on.

You then have multiple projects in Jira per product, and the features and stories can be assigned to different teams in the release train.

You are using Advanced Roadmaps and assigning teams to issues using the custom team field that comes with Advanced Roadmaps.

Is that correct?

VisualScript for Jira has a built-in Velocity report.  You can input all of your projects, start and end date, and separate your teams by the Advanced Roadmaps team field, or any field (ie component) that you are using.  

It will show 3 tables (see the visual below).  The top table has a row per team showing number of estimated SP, completed SP, added, dropped, rolled, and team velocity across all of the issues in multiple projects.  You can even click in the expanded view and see the average velocity sprint by sprint for each team.

The second table shows all of the same information across all of your teams (your release train).  The third table shows how many iterations it will take to complete remaining estimated work.  This report lives in a Jira dashboard gadget.

VisualScript is also customizable, so if you want to edit the velocity report to make it work for you, you can edit the script (JavaScript) in the admin interface to make it your own, and it will create a custom version of it for you.

I hope this helps, and happy to answer any additional questions you might have.  FYI I am the Product Manager of VisualScript.

Best

Evan

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.00.31 AM.png

Matt Wakeman August 7, 2020

Thanks for the comment, however this doesn't provide me anything that the native Jira reports and EazyBi already do out of the box.

My ask is around how I can sync the velocity of a shared team between two plans.

The velocity field seems to be plan specific and I cannot find any API which allows me to set it out side of Jira Portfolio.

Like Dawn Spierings likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events