Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Dates vs Start Dates in Advanced Roadmaps

Channing Childs June 24, 2020

What is the value of Target dates in Advanced Roadmaps? I can add them in the fields view but they do not auto chart a timeline on the data area but Start and End Date due? So why would I use the Target Start and end? Just 

1 answer

3 votes
Marwan Saab July 21, 2020

Hi @Channing Childs ,

Under the Configure > Scheduling section - you can change which fields affect your timeline - so, if you like to set Target Start and Target End that would work.

Please note that if you make this change in the settings, the Auto-schedule will now update your Target Start/End fields.

Having said that, the way I use them (since Portfolio for Jira) is to keep a static value of my "original" plan - the values I enter manually; and leave the Start Date and Due Date to be updated by the Auto-schedule based on the available data (team capacity, velocity, priority, estimates...etc.).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Marwan

BrosseauDamien (Consultant) March 27, 2023

Hi @Marwan Saab , I would like to know how you do the comparison between the baseline ("original plan") and the actual plan. Do you do this in advance roadmap directly by switching dates configuration ? I'm curious and also sorry, I know this post is almost 3 years old ;)

Marwan Saab March 27, 2023

Hi @BrosseauDamien (Consultant),

Unfortunately, with Jira Advanced Roadmap, the feature of plotting on the timeline both the "Target/Plan" vs "Actual" - is no longer an option.

There is flexibility to visualize based on any "start" and "end" date fields in your instance's configuration - however, only one set at a time.

There are different solutions to highlight and/or report on work that is behind original planned days... however, these solutions are specific to what questions are you trying to answer + your Jira structure design.

Features that can be leveraged: 

• Custom field(s) + Automation to calculate their values based on conditions.
  • Manage a set of labels based on the value of the above custom field(s)
  • In the JAR, color based on the value of the Labels
  • and/or Creating dashboards/reports on the Custom field(s) values

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Marwan

BrosseauDamien (Consultant) March 30, 2023

Thank you ! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events