Should creating issues in JIRA Portfolio apply post-functions as per project workflow?

Melinda Atkinson December 12, 2017

We have a workflow with several post-functions on the create transition to set fields based upon the link type relationship, for example:  when creating a Story, the component field will be set based upon the component field in the associated Epic (using 'has Epic' relationship).

This works fine when creating new Stories via JIRA.  However, if we create our Stories in JIRA Portfolio, the same post-functions are not applied and the component field is not populated based upon the associated Epic.

Is this to be expected?  Anyone know if there's another way around this?  Thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Melinda Atkinson March 22, 2018

Hi All,

I was able to get feedback from Atlassian on this issue via a formal support request.

For the record in case you stumble on this with the same issue -- it turns out that in Portfolio, issues are created without their issue links.  As a result, any post-functions based on a linked issue will not fire during the create transition, hence the reason why there is difference in behaviour when creating issues via JIRA & creating issues in Portfolio.

As a result of our discussion, this New feature request was created -- please watch & vote!

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOSERVER-2236

1 vote
Amanda {Praecipio} December 28, 2017

Unfortunately, without a published API, it's difficult to see exactly what Portfolio is doing when it creates issues within Jira. 

The order of operations of your Post Functions may need to be rearranged for Portfolio to support it. Or you may need to make the Component/s field required to force it to pop up the create dialog in Portfolio. 

Those are the only suggestions I can make. I am curious to see if either of those fixes the issue. If not, you may need to file a bug or suggestion with Atlassian. 

0 votes
Martin_Wasiak December 3, 2019

This also prevents the use of field validators in your projects.  For example, you can't make "Epic Link" field required because the validator will fire for anything created in Portfolio.  

We stopped using Portfolio for creating new issues.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events