Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QUESTION: Different (ortogonal) view to tasks hierarchy, when need deliverables blocks by sprints

towndwarf
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 13, 2021

I have 4 teams [Prod, Dev, QA, CS (customer support)]
In (one of) my Kanban boards I created 5 columns [prod, Dev, QA, CS, closed]

1. we have 2 weeks length sprints (and in a couple of teams these sprints differ from the company standard). At the end of a sprint, we have a version release.
  2. tasks/stories/epics move between these columns of versions every sprint.
  3. I've been requested to somehow UNITE these tasks/stories/epics BY 'deliverable blocks' (versions). And show them as in the picture below.
    With an ability to see, what's inside that block.
    They might be called 'sprint-blocks' since these blocks are INDEED sprint-based deliverables: 2 weeks in Product, 2 weeks in QA, 2 weeks in Development...
    and so on.

HOW CAN I DO SO?
photo_2021-07-13_09-58-29.jpg

Screenshot_7.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Eddie Meardon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2021

Hey @towndwarf 

I think there's a way to make Advanced Roadmaps do what you're asking, but I think I need clarification on how you have your workflow set up. Do each of your columns represent a team, then you move the one task through the "workflow" from team to team?

If so, then you'd need to make a change to how this process works in order to get the view you're looking for. One task (like an Epic) should have a subtask for each piece of work that gets assigned to a team. For example, if the epic is "Create Y", your issues within it could be "Create Y - Prod", "Create Y - Dev", "Create Y - QA", and "Create Y - CS". It's less about "passing the task around" and more about "This team has completed their section".

With that done, you could then use Advanced Roadmaps' viewing options to show the data as you want, including grouping by sprint, coloring tasks by team, and more.

Did I understand your ask correctly? 

Cheers,

Eddie

towndwarf
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 20, 2021

Yes, Eddie, thank you.
You indeed understood my ask more or less correctly... despite I hoped I shouldn't be doing these splits in my tasks ... since it is quite an amount of work.

On the roadmap, one can see epics, with no option of 'splitting' epics by teams or sprints, especially when sprints differ from team to team.(showing epics accordingly might be a problem).

And for different teams no option of different sprints dates.

Please see what I'm trying to get:

• columns - sprints
  • rows - different teams
  • every line is an epic or a story. 
  • The same color of the square designates, the content belongs to some unique version of the product.

Screenshot_7.png

So yes, I can "split" an epic into stories
(e.g, from the picture: Finance (2/2), Finance (2/?)),
but I won't be able to see the progress on stories, merged by epics and versions, won't I?
See:Screenshot_3.png 

The case here - how to minimize the amount of task (ok, epic) splits.
=> better we have some sub-epic or sub-project.
Currently, Jira allows only the following hierarchy with no option of adding something in between: [epic, story, task, subtask (if any)]
And shows in a progress board epics only.
Then your answer won't show what I need.

For example
We have a CSM sub-project, which could be divided into ~30 epics, every epic could be divided into multiple 'Sub-Epics'.
But in the end, it is the CSM sub-system only, we must monitor the progress of the CSM epic and its movement&progress between sprints and versions, without the necessity of following a "zillion" of epics or stories.

So I'm still in a total mess of ways of solving the task :)

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events