Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent Portfolio from importing potential projects defined by filter

Marc Dzierzawa July 2, 2018

We using a filter as portfolio source like:

status != Backlog AND project in projectsLeadByUser(username)

It seems that portfolio imports all potential projects even those which don't have any matching issues.

Is it possibel to prevent portfolio of doing this? It is important for us as it would improve the overview and the filter choice and also prevents exceeding the 100 projects per plan maximum.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2018

Hi Marc,

1. You should include "AND status = Open" in your filter to use with Portfolio. This might not affect the issue but it's good to include. Can you run that whole query in Jira Issue Navigator and see what comes back? 

2. Please also run a database search for the projects you are lead in:
    SELECT * from project WHERE lead = 'username';

Thank you!

Shannon

Marc Dzierzawa July 9, 2018

Hi Shannon,

1. I added "AND resolution = Unresolved" as we have also other status which we want to have included. However this didn't affect the issue. When I run the query in Jira Issue Navigator, the result is what I expected.

2. I tried this and see all the projects where I set as lead. These are the projects which I also see in portfolio.

I don't know if I put my problem across correctly:

Say we have two project where I set as lead: Project "A" has some issues which are not resolved, Project "B" has only issues which are resolved or even no issues. When I use my mentioned filter as source in protfolio, I only see the issues of Project "A" in the list (which is what i expect"). However I still see Project "A" and Project "B" in the project filter list. But I would expect that I will only see Project "A" as there is no issue of Project "B" in my portfolio plan.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2018

Marc,

Thank you for checking that. So, to confirm, Project A does have some issues that aren't closed yet, but Project B has ONLY issues that are resolved? Can you clarify what you mean by "or even no issues"? 

Since Project B is only resolved issues, are you saying you expect Project B to not show up at all? 

Regards

Shannon

Marc Dzierzawa July 9, 2018

Hi Shannon,

these are two possible use cases where I expect that Project B will not shown in portfolio. In both cases, there will be no issue from Project B which is found by my filter (either because the project has no issues or all issues are already closed).

Yes, I would expect that project B is not shown in portfolio as the filter doesn't find any issues of Project B.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2018

Hi Marc,

I conferred with the rest of the Portfolio team, and the cause is this:

The plans in Portfolio do not have a static list of issues; it is constantly changing. If the user is an owner of a project, even if it does not have any issues, it will show up in the list of sources for the plan.

The main reason for this is that you could create a new issue in the project from Portfolio, which is only possible if the project is listed in the plan.

Let me know if that's clear or if you have any questions about that!

Shannon

Marc Dzierzawa July 11, 2018

Hi Shannon,

thank you for your answer. So do I understand correctly that this is a wanted behaviour (which makes sense when using protfolio to create issues for empty projects)?

Is there some workaround to prevent this behaviour or is it planned to make this feature optional by a portfolio setting? As I wrote at the beginning of this thread, for our workflow it would be better to only see projects with active issues (and it would also help us to not run out of the 100 projects limit of portfolio).

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
July 12, 2018

Hi Marc,

That's correct, this is a wanted behavior in Portfolio and it doesn't appear that we have plans to change that.

If this is a project you don't intend on using in the future, and if you have Jira 7.10+ then you could use the Archiving Feature and hide any projects so they don't show up.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events