Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio vs. Roadmap

Deleted user October 18, 2019

I lead the PMO for my company, and we're currently on Jira 7, looking to move to cloud in the next several months. We're starting to use Jira Portfolio for our high-level project/program/portfolio scheduling.

I see that Cloud has Portfolio's v2 experience, but also has Roadmaps? What's the play here? Should we expect that Roadmaps is actually the place for us to plan out our projects and collections of projects, or hold on to Portfolio for that?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2020

Hi, I just wanted to provide a quick update. We recently rebranded Portfolio for Jira to Advanced Roadmaps (across both self-hosted and Cloud offerings). Advanced Roadmaps in Cloud is now very close to 3.x on Server. Advanced Roadmaps is available on Jira Software Premium in Cloud now. 

We've also been evolving our general roadmaps offering in cloud (available in our standard plan). 

We created this new page to help you compare the different Jira Software roadmaps offerings. We also recently did a webinar walking through the differences, which you can check out on-demand.

Deleted user May 29, 2020

Thanks for the update, Josh. Answer accepted, and I'm happy to see the Advanced Roadmaps alignment!

Like Jeff Mallory likes this
david.montgomery December 1, 2020

Hi @Josh Frank - You say, "Advanced Roadmaps in Cloud is now very close to 3.x on Server".

Is it possible to bullet point the main differences here please?

C-Robert.Gill February 14, 2024

Issue links seem to be broken in Advanced Roadmaps, when I used Portfolio in the past, I only added stories from a Kanban board and all parent relationships just showed up

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2019

Hi @[deleted]

Jira Cloud's roadmap and Portfolio are two very different items.

Portfolio in Cloud remains an agile roadmapping and scheduling tool. You're right it is on par with 2.x as opposed to 3.0, but there is still plenty of power to show scope, schedules and releases across multiple projects.

Roadmaps in Cloud are for next-gen projects. These have some great functionality built in - but each roadmap is unique to just one project for now. So this wouldn't be a multi-project view of a big program of work - and for now, the roadmap only shows epic level (although story-level is coming - see the public roadmap for more details.

For more information on roadmaps, see this page If you're not familiar with Next-Gen and how it differs to classic, there is a comparison table on this page.

There are also some more advanced roadmapping features available for these projects in Jira Software Cloud Premium - such as dependency management and forecasting. You can get a free trial of Premium to decide if this would meet your needs.

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events