Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members
Community Events
Community Groups

Portfolio export report capacity doesn't match capacity view

My group uses JIRA (Kanban board) and Portfolio. We develop hardware and use Portfolio to help determine the various resources we need (electrical/mechanical design, test techs etc.) So I have different teams setup with associated skills.

We are a shared resource in our company and am asked to report the resources we need per month for various projects. We group each project into an Epic and estimate the days needed for each story in the Epic. My stake holders are interested in knowing how many resources will be working on their projects (Epics) per month.

When I export the scope report out of Portfolio and look at the estimated hours for a particular team over a period of time (say June). I would expect that it would match what the capacity chart in portfolio reports, but it's way off. 

As you can see from the attached images, the capacity report shows my 5 mechanical designers at full capacity for 4 weeks (30 hrs/week ~ 3.8 days). That should be about 600 hours.

However, when I break down the estimates in the exported report for scheduled stories  in June, it's only showing 300 hours of work. It makes it look like I only need 1/2 my guys.

I've spent many hours, days trying to figure out why this if off so much. 

Some other info, the plan is set to one person per story (which is accurate to reality), each person is available for 30 hours per week, portfolio picks the team member based on where we estimate the hours (if we put 2 days in the mechanical design skill, it picks the right team).

Mech Designer Calc.PNGmech designer cap june.PNG

1 answer

0 votes

There may be a way to double-check it and maybe it reveals more about the root cause of the difference.

You can export Portfolio data to Excel using our app. Maybe it helps to find out if the values that you see in the web interface or the value that you see in the exported Excel file are the correct ones.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer

Atlassian Community Events