Portfolio as a standalone product

Vlad Ignatenko March 19, 2019

Hi Everyone,

Is there a plan to ship Portfolio as a standalone product? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2019

Hi Vlad, 

Portfolio of Jira is a tool designed as a layer on top of the existing jira Software architecture to extend the agile methodologies and functionality of the base application, and requires Jira Software as the base framework to function.

I am not personally aware of any plans to make it a standalone product, but I also highly doubt that that this would be something that we could consider for interest of developing as it would completely change the intended use case of the tool's intended design if it were made to function as a independent application.

But out of curiosity how are you thinking of using the tool in this manner, and your intended use case, as there is always room for a feature improvements, and we can get a request in place to start looking into interest in implementation per the "Implementation of New Features Policy"

Regards,
Earl

Vlad Ignatenko March 21, 2019

Hi Earl,

Thank you for answering my question, I get it.

My feedback to the Atlassian team here is while in the ideal world data from JIRA flow back to Portfolio and update the scope items/GANNTs in there, the reality is that very rarely the data in JIRA (boards, projects, etc) is kept (enough) up to date or clean enough at a hygiene level.  That said, there's definitely value in a Portfolio-to-JIRA commit upon initial scope item (epics, user stories, etc) creation as it eliminates duplicate data entry.

In regards to my own (very selfish) use cases - I just want to take advantage of Portfolio's amazing ability to let me do top-down planning with what-if analysis...I don't want to commit data to JIRA as there's no one to run with those scope items (yet or at all).  The scope focus may not even be agile development, but more operations focused (e.g. music content/metadata/rights prepping and packaging). 

I want the ability to quickly answer such questions from the executive stakeholders as "What if we had a special agreement with an XYZ company and wanted to deliver 5,000 songs (ie, audio files/metadata, etc) for the Independence Day events, can you deliver?; What's the impact to the timeline if you keep resources the same? How many resources would you need in addition to the current capacity in order to hit that date?"

Thank you,

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events